This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2242 / 52°13'27"N
Longitude: -1.5501 / 1°33'0"W
OS Eastings: 430826
OS Northings: 258536
OS Grid: SP308585
Mapcode National: GBR 5MY.JX6
Mapcode Global: VHBXX.2CV9
Entry Name: Ashorne Hill Management College
Listing Date: 25 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381964
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482329
Location: Newbold Pacey, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV33
Civil Parish: Newbold Pacey
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Newbold Pacey St George
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP35NW ASHORNE HILL
1901-1/3/178 Ashorne Hill Management College
Country house, now management training centre. 1895-7. By E
Goldie. For Arthur and Ethel Tree of Chicago. Dressed stone
with ashlar dressings; some blue brick with ashlar dressings
to front; tile roof with brick and ashlar stacks with diagonal
or octagonal shafts. Jacobean style.
PLAN: E-plan with rear wing.
EXTERIOR: symmetrical entrance front of 3 storeys; centre
projects under 3 gables, with 2-storey re-entrant block to
left. Plinth, string courses, coped parapets and coped gables.
Most windows with ovolo mullions, some hollow-chamfered; those
to brick part double-chamfered with labels; leaded glazing.
Entrance has 4-centred head and label mould, and crenellated
parapet, inner entrance with good door; 2-storey canted bay
above has 2:3:2-light mullioned windows, that to first floor
transomed; deep parapet with relief panel of tree.
Flanking bays of centre of blue brick below gables; ground
floor has 3-light transomed window to left, and
cross-mullioned window to right; upper floor with 2-light
windows; cross-axial stacks to centre have to left 4 octagonal
shafts and to right 3 diagonal shafts.
Re-entrant bay to left has plain parapet and 3-light transomed
window to ground floor with 2-light window above; 3-light
transomed window to second floor. To right of centre a small
re-entrant block, for passage, with small lights; 3-light
transomed window to first floor and 5-light second-floor
Wings have 5-light second-floor window and 3-light gable
windows to ends; wing to left has 2-storey canted bay with
coped parapet over 1:5:1-light windows, with 2 transoms to
ground floor; 5-light, 2-transom, window to inner return, with
single-lights and 3-light windows above; wing to right has
2-storey bowed windows with 3:3:3-light mullioned windows with
king mullions, and 2 transoms to ground floor; inner return
has three 2-light, 2-transom, ground-floor windows and 5-light
and 3-light windows above.
Right return has 3 gablets to centre and flanking projecting
lateral stacks, that to left with diagonal shaft to each end,
that to right corbelled out from second floor, now truncated;
Entrances to centre and left end have nowy heads to paired
small-paned glazed doors and large cross-mullioned overlights;
entrance to right end has inscription: FLORES TERRAE STELLAE
to shaped lintel. Ground floor has 2-light, 2-transom, window
to left of centre and 3-light transomed window to right of
centre, with large 5-light, 2-transom, window to right end;
2-light and some single-light windows above, including canted
balcony with timber balustrade and canted canopy to first
floor, glazed door with side lights.
Left return has central gabled forward break with entrance
with 4-centred head and label to right of 5-light transomed
window; to right end a lean-to inglenook with small lights and
large T-plan external stack with octagonal and round shafts;
wing to left has lower roof with 2 brick cross-axial stacks,
gablet, 5-light windows and inserted entrance to left.
Rear has large projecting square stair tower to left of
centre, with crenellated parapet; half-canted hall bay window
to right and parapeted re-entrant block to left; service wing
to right end.
Entrance to tower has 4-centred head and panelled door, low
window to right; 6-light transomed stair window and 4-light
and 3-light windows above; half-canted bay has parapet and
window of 5 and 3 round-headed lights and 3 transoms;
re-entrant block originally single-storey, with 9-light,
2-transom, bow window with parapet and 2-light windows above;
to right 2-light and 3-light windows, transomed to ground
floor and to 2 gabled half-dormers; wing has 3-light windows
and is connected at end to 1960s block.
INTERIOR: hall has 2 large 4-centred arches to bay window and
stair; panelling with cornice and ovolo-chamfered beams with
exposed joists; gallery to 2 sides has plinths to Doric
columns with entasis supporting entablature and balustrade
with turned balusters; tall angle fireplace to right of stair
window has columns and corbels supporting lintel with low
relief frieze of waves and sea creatures, wattle pattern and
Vitruvian scroll above; overmantel originally with low relief
of tree, figures, portrait busts etc, now plain; 2 lights with
architraves and swan-necked pediments and entablature;
open-well cut-string staircase has grotesque panels and
finials to newels and turned balusters.
Drawing room to right wing is richly decorated with enriched
panelling, cornice and plaster ceiling; chimney breast has
entablature with swags to frieze over marble fireplace with
columns and overmantel with eared architrave with swan-necked
pediment; end window recess has Corinthian angle pilasters and
columns paired in depth to similar entablature; similar recess
to other end partly covered; boudoir to rear is similar,
octagonal, room with rich Rococo decoration, spiral staircase
in angle and entrance with side lights and overlight to end
room, which has white veined marble Rococo-style angle
fireplace and round panel to ceiling.
Dining room to left of entrance has full-height panelling,
ribbed ceiling and fireplace with Tuscan columns and
overmantel flanked by paired Ionic columns; recess to end
fitted with desk and shelves. Billiard room, now library, to
left wing has wood cornice; large inglenook with 3-centred
arch, veined marble Ionic columns, bracketed entablature and
overmantel with 5 arched panels between colonnettes and
pilasters. Panelled doors and rooms to upper floors retaining
architraves to panelled doors, fireplaces, baths etc.
A good example of late C19 Arts and Crafts-inspired
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 362; Warwickshire Local
History Society Occasional Papers: Tyack G: The Country Houses
of Warwickshire 1800-1939: 1989-: 51-3; Ashorne Hill
Management College: The History of Ashorne Hill: 1988-).
Listing NGR: SP3082658536
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings