This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2117 / 52°12'41"N
Longitude: -1.5639 / 1°33'50"W
OS Eastings: 429891
OS Northings: 257138
OS Grid: SP298571
Mapcode National: GBR 5N4.7FT
Mapcode Global: VHBXW.VN2X
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381966
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482331
Location: Newbold Pacey, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Newbold Pacey
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Newbold Pacey St George
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP25NE NEWBOLD PACEY
1901-1/2/160 Church of St George
Church. C11. Rebuilt after fire 1880-2 by JL Pearson. Dressed
coursed limestone with ashlar dressings; steeply pitched red
old tile roofs with ornamental cresting.
PLAN: 2-bay chancel with catslide vestry and organ loft; 3-bay
nave with porch in 3-stage saddleback north-west tower and
south transept and catslide south aisle. Early English style.
Plain cornices; sill courses; windows have hood moulds with
roughed-out stops; 3 iron gable crosses.
EXTERIOR: chancel has stepped triplet of lancets to east end,
with 2 lights with quatrefoil above to vestry; north side has
gabled buttress between 3-light windows with lancet tracery;
south side has entrance with 3 lights to left, 2 to right;
truncated lateral stack to right. Nave north side has 2
3-light windows with lancet tracery.
Tower has arch of 2 orders to porch with hood mould continued
as sill course; re-set C12 inner doorway of single order with
lattice diaper and interlacing to capitals and billet and
cable mouldings to hood, mass dial to right; second stage has
lancet, and cinquefoils to returns; bell-stage is recessed
with sill course, clasping buttresses and corbel table; pairs
of louvred bell-openings, and similar openings to gables;
West end has 4 lancets with sexfoil above; 2-light plate
tracery to aisle. Transept has 3-light plate-tracery window;
aisle has re-set C12 round-headed doorway with plain arch
framed by roll moulding with bases and imposts with cable
reeding, plank door with enriched strap hinges; 2 south
windows as that to west.
INTERIOR: arches have hoods with roughed-out stops. Chancel
has waggon roof; 2-light arcade to vestry and organ loft;
richly carved reredos: 3 ogival arches with St Michael and St
George flanking Christ in Glory, flanking curtains. 2-bay
south arcade on quatrefoil pier, with to east a cusped recess
and segmental-pointed sedilia recess; chancel arch is richly
moulded on triple shafts, with 2 low walls. Nave has
arch-braced collars to crown post roof, ashlaring and ogee
wind-braces; 2-bay arcade on round piers, with octagonal pier
to west of transept arch; transept has east and west arches
dying into jambs.
FITTINGS: chancel has altar rail on wrought-iron posts and
scrolls; hexagonal sanctuary lamp with pendant and
brattishing; plain furniture. Nave has polygonal pulpit with
moulded stone base and timber panels with blind tracery and
deep cornice; timber lectern has eagle on wide base and
octagonal shaft; font has octagonal bowl on stop-chamfered
square pier with 4 squat free-standing shafts.
MEMORIALS: Edward Carew, d.1668, and his infant daughter;
re-set marble memorial to north wall with oval recess in good
architectural setting has demi-figure with hand on heart, and
baby on ledge in front, swan-necked pediment with armorial
bearings to centre and sides, funeral helm and crest hang
above. Group of re-set tablets to west wall includes William
Little, d.1834; Grecian-style wall tablet with relief of
STAINED GLASS: east window by Hardman and Co, panels in
decorative setting; glass to west lights dated 1886 and 1890.
Aisle has free-standing stove. Wood panel in porch records
donation by Incorporated Church Building Society in 1880.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, N & Wedgwood, A:
Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 361-2; Shell Guides:
Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 133; Victoria County
Histories: Styles P: Victoria History of the County of
Warwickshire: 1945-: 123).
Listing NGR: SP2989157138
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings