This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7431 / 52°44'35"N
Longitude: -1.8863 / 1°53'10"W
OS Eastings: 407772
OS Northings: 316168
OS Grid: SK077161
Mapcode National: GBR 3BN.3WH
Mapcode Global: WHCGG.091X
Entry Name: Armitage United Reform Church Chapel
Listing Date: 16 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482425
Location: Armitage with Handsacre, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15
Civil Parish: Armitage with Handsacre
Built-Up Area: Armitage
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Armitage St John Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
ARMITAGE WITH HANDSACRE
SK01NE RUGELEY ROAD
16-AUG-00 Armitage United Reform Church Chapel
Congregational chapel. 1820; by Thomas Birch; extended later C19. Red brick in Flemish garden wall bond with rendered dressings. Clay plain tile roof with moulded stone coping to gable ends.
PLAN: Small chapel, the auditorium with gallery over entrance at west end, vestry at east end and north 'aisle' that might have served as 'squire's pew or Sunday school; 2-storey porch at west end possibly added in 1820s or 1830s. Later C19 schoolroom in angle of east vestry and north 'aisle'.
Tudor Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: West front has gabled 2-storey porch with set-back buttresses with weathered set-offs, large moulded occulus with rose window and 4-centred arch doorway with moulded label with shield stops; stepped west gable behind porch with large diagonal buttresses with weathered set-offs. North and south sides have two large windows with labels and pointed arch frames and large buttresses. North 'aisle' has large diagonal buttress with gabled pinnacles. Small vestry at east end with pointed arch doorway with hoodmould and diagonal buttress with pinnacle. School room to NE with porch on west side with pointed arch doorway.
INTERIOR: Auditorium has vaulted plaster ceiling and two exposed cambered tie-beams with arcading above; west gallery with panelled front on slender posts and 4-centred arches. Original simple pews in gallery. Auditorium pews replaced later C19. Polygonal pulpit. Panelled double doors to vestry with 4-centred arch.
NOTE: The Armitage United Reformed Chapel was built in 1820, apparently by Thomas Birch of Armitage Lodge, who placed it in trust for the Congregationalists [now URC] in 1831, while he retained the right of burial in a private vault under the north 'aisle'.
SOURCES: Stell, C., Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England [RCHME], pp.208-9.
Listing NGR: SK0777216168
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings