This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2108 / 52°12'38"N
Longitude: -1.6261 / 1°37'33"W
OS Eastings: 425647
OS Northings: 257014
OS Grid: SP256570
Mapcode National: GBR 5N1.9QX
Mapcode Global: VHBXV.RPQL
Plus Code: 9C4W696F+8H
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Last Amended: 28 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382119
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482484
Location: Hampton Lucy, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Hampton Lucy
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Hampton Lucy St Peter ad Vincula
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
CHURCH STREET (South side),
Church of St Peter Ad Vincula
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Peter and Vincula)
Church. 1822-6. By Thomas Rickman and Hutchinson. For Rev John
Lucy. Chancel and porch added and other alterations, 1858 by
Sir Gilbert Scott. Limestone ashlar; slate and lead roofs.
PLAN single-bay chancel with polygonal apse; 6-bay nave with
lean-to aisles, 3-stage west tower and 2-storey north porch.
EXTERIOR: moulded plinth, top cornice and pierced crenellated
parapets and pierced coped gables; buttresses have richly
crocketed pinnacles; window hoods with head stops; much rich
carving. Apse has 5 faces, 3-light windows with Decorated
tracery in arches of 2 orders under traceried crocketed
free-standing gables between gabled buttresses with pinnacles
and figures. East end of chancel has pierced coping and
flanking buttresses with pinnacles to tabernacles; 3-light
north and south windows as to apse, but gables against wall.
Clerestory has gabled buttresses with pinnacles, top cornice
and pierced crenellated parapet; east end has octagonal
pinnacles with cornices and pierced friezes with brattishing;
2-light windows with Decorated tracery.
Aisles have cornices and traceried parapets continued as
coping; gabled buttresses with pinnacles between 3-light
windows with cast-iron Decorated tracery; east end of north
aisle has entrance with continuous moulding, but corresponding
south aisle bay has window with spherical-lozenge tracery;
north aisle west end has double-cusped light.
South porch has top cornice and parapet with pierced
quatrefoils; large octagonal pinnacles with gabled buttresses;
canted stair turret to buttress to east; entrance of 2 orders
now with glazed infill and Bishop and Queen headstops;
canopied niche above has statue of St Peter in chains,
flanking cusped lights above shields in panels; damaged gable
Tower has gabled buttresses and string courses; tall-bell
stage has octagonal pinnacles with gabled buttresses, cornice
and pierced parapet with finials; west entrance has deep
gabled portal with rich ball-flower, stiff-leaf carving and
Lucy arms, offset buttresses with pinnacles and flanking
niches; paired plank doors with good wrought-iron work. North
and south sides have 3-bay blind arcades, that to south with
later 2-light window, north side with entrance to canted stair
turret; second stage has 2-light window with cast-iron
tracery; bell-stage has 2-light louvred bell-openings with
Decorated tracery in deep moulded arches; clock face to front
has gable and pinnacles.
INTERIOR: chancel has wall shafts to lierne vault; chancel and
apse arches of 4 orders; blind trefoil-headed arcading to apse
has marble shafts, foliate capitals and spandrels, and
crocketed gables between pinnacles; inlaid floor.
Nave has tall 6-bay Perpendicular arcades with wall shafts to
plaster quadripartite rib vaulting, and similar vaulting to
Clerestory has cusped blind arches between windows; 1856 tower
arch has entrance of 3 orders with cinquefoil over trumeau and
pierced balustrade above, the west windows in shafted arched
North aisle has east bay enclosed by screens, each with
pointed arch with ogee gable flanked by traceried openings.
South aisle has east bay enclosed for vestry with
trefoil-pointed entrance to west.
FITTINGS: reredos of 5 trefoil-pointed arches, crocketed
gables and pinnacles; richly carved choir stalls with
traceried canopies and iron and brass panels to fronts. Richly
carved wood pulpit on ashlar base with clustered marble
shafts, handrail with metalwork by Skidmore. 2 original pew
ends with cast-iron poppyheads, other pew ends brattished.
Alabaster font has relief panels of Biblical scenes. C18 Royal
Arms to south aisle in frame with Tudor- and ball-flower.
STAINED GLASS: east window, dated 1826, by Willement; similar
glass to some aisle windows, and decorative glass to
clerestory and west windows; some glass to chancel probably by
Clayton and Bell.
The magnum opus of Rickman and Hutchinson (Pevsner) and a very
good example of early C19 church architecture, the richness of
which is due to the generosity of funding.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
1966-: 305-6; Shell Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London:
Listing NGR: SP2564457013
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings