This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2101 / 52°12'36"N
Longitude: -1.6265 / 1°37'35"W
OS Eastings: 425615
OS Northings: 256942
OS Grid: SP256569
Mapcode National: GBR 5N1.HKN
Mapcode Global: VHBXV.RQG3
Entry Name: Hampton Lucy House
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Last Amended: 28 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482489
Location: Hampton Lucy, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Hampton Lucy
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Hampton Lucy St Peter ad Vincula
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP25NE CHURCH STREET
1457-1/10/66 (South side)
06/02/52 Hampton Lucy House
(Formerly Listed as:
Rectory, now house. Earlier C18 with early C19 additions.
Brick laid to Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; hipped old
tile roof with brick internal stacks. Early Georgian style.
Central staircase plan with service range to right.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic; symmetrical 5-window range.
Ashlar plinth, top cornice and balustraded parapet with
fielded-panelled piers and central segmental-headed panel with
Lucy Arms; rusticated quoins.
Entrance has architrave with flanking panelled pilaster strips
and pulvinated frieze to consoled segmental pediment, moulded
door frame with angle paterae and overlight with decorative
glazing bars to 4-panel door. Windows have sills, and rubbed
brick flat arches with key blocks over 6/6 sashes; 3 hipped
dormers with 2-light small-paned casements.
Left return 4-window range has attached conservatory with
18-pane sashes; 2 dormers. Rear has brick parapet;
single-storey stuccoed projection to right of 2 windows has
ramped cornice and parapet over 2 windows with triple key
blocks and 2/4 horned sashes.
Right return has blocked windows and rainwater heads; attached
2-storey, 3-window, double-depth brick range has slate roof
and brick cross-axial stacks; quoins and top cornice; entrance
with overlight to 4-panel door and window to right; windows
similar to main range.
Right return has segmental-headed entrance and 2 ground floor
windows with cross-casements, with 2 first-floor windows
flanking inserted window.
Rear probably older, with blocked entrance to left with
12-pane sash above; right end has segmental-headed window with
tripartite sash and 2 windows above with timber lintels over
INTERIOR: entrance hall has dado and deep entablature;
architraves to 6-fielded-panel doors; red marble fireplace.
Open-well stair has cut string, wreathed handrail, fluted
newel and 2 column-on-vase balusters to each tread.
Room to left of stair has fielded-panelling to dado, marble
fireplace and bookcases flanking Greek Doric doorway with
attached columns and triglyph pediment, the bookcases with
entablatures and round-headed panel to cupboard door to each
Room to rear addition has rich decoration with luce and
cross-crosslet from Lucy Arms; rich cornice and ceiling panels
with central roundel; plain fireplace probably later.
Home of the Rev John Lucy, patron of the Church of St Peter
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: SP2561356946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings