This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2107 / 51°12'38"N
Longitude: -2.6432 / 2°38'35"W
OS Eastings: 355163
OS Northings: 145912
OS Grid: ST551459
Mapcode National: GBR MN.3XW2
Mapcode Global: VH89S.4TGS
Entry Name: Chapter House to Cathedral Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Last Amended: 31 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382900
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483286
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Chapter House to Cathedral Church of St Andrew
(Formerly Listed as: CATHEDRAL GREEN Cathedral Church of St Andrew (including Chain Gate and Cloisters))
Chapter House. 1290-c 1307. Doulting ashlar with blue Lias dressings, some Purbeck marble internal dressings; lead roof.
EXTERIOR: octagonal with deep angle buttresses, set back mid height with gargoyles to attached pinnacles above, with a weathered band above, with a weathered band above the undercroft, and an arcade of two-light lancets beneath a parapet of pierced quatrefoils.
Each face has two chamfered arched windows to the undercroft, and a full-width
four-light window with Decorated tracery and an ogee hood. Stair passage up from the north chancel aisle has a moulded parapet, with two four-light windows.
The stairway to the Chapter House and Chain bridge (qv) of two bays with Purbeck marble vault shafts, those at the bottom of the stair on good carved figure shafts and spherical capitals to the west windows, and a Tudor-arched doorway at the top in a square frame beneath a two-light Decorated tracery set within an arch of three orders as the windows. To the west side are stepped seats, to the east the steps curve off to a two-bay-wide vaulted lobby with open cusped entrances with cusped trefoils above and panelled walls, and Purbeck marble shafts.
The Chapter House has vault shafts in the angles to a fine tierceron vault with a central octagonal shaft with 36 ribs, and spherical foliate bosses; the central shaft has a Purbeck marble bench, the sides have two tiers of wall benches, an arcade of gabled seat niches, and a surround of ball flowers to the windows.
The early C13 undercroft, formerly the treasury, has a central octagonal column with attached shafts, eight intermediate round shafts, and vault shafts, all with hollow-moulded capitals, and rere arches, with a piscina by the door and a carved dog.
The mid C13 doorway from the north aisle has a depressed arch and a bar tracery open gable on head stops above, and fine C13 doors with scrolled ironwork; three bay passage from the aisle has a sexpartite vault, stiff leaf capitals and good pictorial bosses, with head corbels on the east side.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 February 2018.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings