This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.211 / 51°12'39"N
Longitude: -2.6452 / 2°38'42"W
OS Eastings: 355025
OS Northings: 145949
OS Grid: ST550459
Mapcode National: GBR MN.3X8W
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3TFK
Entry Name: Old Deanery Court with Link Wall Along East Side
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Last Amended: 31 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483310
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 CATHEDRAL GREEN
662-1/7/39 (North side)
12/11/53 Old Deanery Court, with link wall
along east side
(Formerly Listed as:
The Old Deanery)
(Formerly Listed as:
The Deanery Wall)
Former house, now offices. C15, refenestrated in C16 and
altered in mid C20. Random stone rubble with ashlar dressings,
mostly Welsh slate roof between coped gables. A single-depth
first-floor hall plan, with through passage to the left, and
with lateral fireplace to rear of upper hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 6 bays irregular fenestration. A C20
3-light window to lower bay 1, 2-light chamfer mullioned
windows to ground floor bays 2, 4, 5 and 6, and to first floor
to right of bay 2; between bays and 5, and to bay 6, are
2-light transomd windows, the upper lights pointed-arched,
under square labels; bay 3 has a moulded 4-centre arch,
reused, set in a former throughway under a timber lintel:
battlemented parapet masking roof to bays 1, 2 and 3, vertical
straight joint between bays 1 and 2. This thought to be a
separate house originally (Pevsner).
INTERIOR: the ground floor has probably early C16 moulded
beams, probably in compartments in the original layout. At the
E end a stone 4-centred doorway opens to the rear. The upper
hall, now subdivided, has a roof in 5 bays with heavy
arch-braced collars, chamfered purlins and wind-bracing, but
with an upper cruck in the end bay, adjacent to the
full-height wall inserted at the through-passage. The third
bay at the back has a stone fire surround.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: extending from the south-east corner is a
lower battlemented rubble wall, with a central 4-centre-arched
gateway, linking into the gateway (qv) on the south side of
the courtyard. Part of a major building complex long
associated with the Cathedral and its administration.
Link Wall along east side was listed on 130972.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 317).
Listing NGR: ST5502245946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings