This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2094 / 51°12'33"N
Longitude: -2.6457 / 2°38'44"W
OS Eastings: 354994
OS Northings: 145780
OS Grid: ST549457
Mapcode National: GBR MN.43JV
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3V6Q
Entry Name: 3, Market Place
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Last Amended: 31 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483424
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 MARKET PLACE
662-1/7/143 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Also known as: No.5A CATHEDRAL GREEN.
House with shop. c1453, built as part of the "New Works" by
Bishop Bekynton, modified C19 and C20. Rendered with false
ashlar joints scribed on, and colourwashed, Welsh slate roof
with coped gable to left, continuation to right behind
parapet, brick chimney stack.
PLAN: main range with single large room to front, entrance and
through passage to right, straight staircase inserted in C19;
long wing to right, overlooking small internal courtyard, and
return range across rear facing Cathedral Green, but partly
concealed by No.12 Sadler St (qv).
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, single wide bay. Ground floor has
projecting shop front of mid C20, with panelled ashlar stall
risers, simple hardwood windows with toplights, single central
glazed door in recess, continuous fascia, with return on west
side, with small top moulding and lead flat roof, on right in
second recess a 6-panel door set in semicircular arch with
decorative cast-iron fanlight, with architrave round. Upper
floors have wide shallow angled bay window to full height of
parapet, with exposed sash boxes to careful replacement
windows, of 8+16+8 panes to first floor and 4+8+4 panes to
second floor; cornice mouldings over each window. On left,
traces of a corner buttress, and below the parapet traces of
the original medieval string course, masked by rendering. Lead
rainwater stackheads and downpipes to each side. Small brick
stack to left gable.
The rear has a gable in rubble to a high-pitched roof with
double Roman tiles, partly concealed by the adjacent property.
This has a wide paired early C18 12-pane sash set in a moulded
stone surround with drip-course, but less deep than the later
insertion, below this a plain door.
INTERIOR: the ground floor features are all concealed by C20
fittings and finishes. The staircase is enclosed by
part-glazed C20 screens to the first floor, which has one
large room with a 2-compartment ceiling with moulded beams,
and, to the right, 2 small openings with chamfered surrounds
and 4-centred heads, leading to the narrow wing, which has, in
the courtyard wall, a 2-light casement with stone mullion and
deep splays. On the party wall at plate height is a large
section of beam with chamfers and stops on 3 moulded wood
brackets. The upper floor and roof not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: part of an outstanding late medieval planned
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol:
London: 1958-: 328).
Listing NGR: ST5499245781
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings