This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2095 / 51°12'34"N
Longitude: -2.6456 / 2°38'44"W
OS Eastings: 354999
OS Northings: 145784
OS Grid: ST549457
Mapcode National: GBR MN.43JV
Mapcode Global: VH89S.3V7P
Plus Code: 9C3V6953+QQ
Entry Name: 5, Market Place
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Last Amended: 31 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483426
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 MARKET PLACE
662-1/7/145 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House with shop, now offices. c1453, built as part of the "New
Works" by Bishop Bekynton, modified C19. Rendered and
colourwashed, Welsh slate roof behind parapet, and brick
PLAN: property extends back to become No.5, Cathedral Green at
the N end.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, single wide bay. Ground floor
has projecting shop front of late C19 style, having painted
panelled ashlar stall riser, 12-large-pane display window
flanked by slim fluted pilasters, under slim fascia with shop
blind, 6-panel door to left with plain rectangular fanlight,
all under a felted flat roof. Upper floors have a wide
shallow-angled bay window to full height of parapet,
incorporating sash windows with exposed boxes of 8+16+8 panes
to first floor and 9+15+9 panes to second floor, cornice
mouldings over each window. Traces of the original medieval
string course under the rendering at second floor level.
Behind parapet a small flat-roofed dormer and a second,
slightly higher, to the right, with a louvred window; small
stack to the right, on raised coped verge.
The N elevation, to Cathedral Green, is in rubble, with double
Roman tile steep pitched roof, set with coped gable to the
Green. 3 storeys and attic; a small square light in the gable
above a large 4-pane sash, but with evidence for a former wide
casement. At first floor are two 4-pane sash to concrete
lintels, and at ground floor a 4-panel door under plain
transom-light and in a Tuscan pilaster surround, and a 2-light
casement. The right eaves has a brick stack on a coped gablet.
INTERIOR: ground floor has C20 partitions, but 4 bays of
ceiling with moulded beams survive. Stone newel staircase to
first floor, with 2-bay ceilings with moulded beams to front,
and C19 fireplace. Second floor has suspended ceiling below
the mediaeval roof structure, doors of late C18, and a large
18-pane sash with thick glazing bars to the stairwell.
Part of an outstanding late medieval planned group.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 328).
Listing NGR: ST5499745785
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings