This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5557 / 52°33'20"N
Longitude: -2.7978 / 2°47'52"W
OS Eastings: 346007
OS Northings: 295613
OS Grid: SO460956
Mapcode National: GBR BG.D3WW
Mapcode Global: VH75V.G184
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 4 July 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483649
Location: Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Church Stretton
Built-Up Area: All Stretton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Church Stretton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO49NE ALL STRETTON
1312-1/2/29 The Manor House
Farmhouse, then maltings and then lodging house, restored as
house in 1920s. c1600, altered C18, restored C20. Painted
timber frame with painted infill panels, painted render with
one bay of painted imitation timber frame, unpainted rubble
stone. Plain-tile roofs, parapeted east gable, 2 brick ridge
stacks with C20 profiled shafts. Roughly L-shaped on plan of
3-bay main range and 3-bay cross wing, with later extension
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. North side has gable-end of cross wing in
centre, main range to left, rubble stone extension wing to
right. Heavily restored square framing with diagonal
ornamental bracing forming lozenge pattern at first floor,
close studding with middle rail at ground-floor level, the
pattern repeated on the left return side of the projecting
gable. Gable-end with a jettied first floor with bressumer
supported with curved brackets; gable truss of cambered tie
beam, collar with vertical struts with diagonal patterned
bracing below and twin raking struts over. C20 restored
casement windows with leaded lights. East gable of rendered
brick with parapet surmounted by 3 ornamental ball finials.
C20 lattice casement windows and additions to rear.
INTERIOR: north gable room has reset carved overmantel dated
1623 and reset carved panelling. Chamfered bridging beams and
cross bridging beams with ogee chamfer stops. Twin
trenched-purlin roofs with ridge pieces. Internal trusses of
collar and vertical struts.
The building was only known as the Manor House when restored
as a house in the 1920s.
Listing NGR: SO4600795613
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings