History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Church Stretton, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5215 / 52°31'17"N

Longitude: -2.8216 / 2°49'17"W

OS Eastings: 344350

OS Northings: 291831

OS Grid: SO443918

Mapcode National: GBR BF.GB1C

Mapcode Global: VH75V.1WPD

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 4 July 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483669

Location: Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Church Stretton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Church Stretton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Acton Scott

Listing Text


CHURCH STRETTON

SO4491 LITTLE STRETTON
1312-1/14/102 The Manor House
04/07/52

GV II*

Farmhouse now house. C15 with C17 left-hand wing and later
additions, heavily restored C20. Painted timber frame with
painted rendered infill panels on rubble plinth, brick
additions. Plain-tile roofs. 2 projecting stone eaves stacks,
3 later brick ridge chimneys, all with restored profiled brick
shafts. Elongated H-shape plan consisting of long main range
with cross wings at each end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. West front is a long restored range of
close-studded framing with three 3-light casements flanking
central 2-light casement over C18 panelled pilastered doorcase
with moulded pediment; advanced gabled bays at each end with
restored close studding, jettied tie beams, single 3-light
casement at each storey.
Right return side: gable-end rebuilt in brick and partly
covered by adjoining Courtyard Cottage (qv).
Left return side: projecting stone chimney with tall brick
stack, restored full-height close-studded framing with girding
beam and upper storey middle rail.
Rear: advanced central paired gables and gabled bays at each
end all with heavily restored close-studded framing and
restored casements with leaded lights. Right-hand gable truss
with square framing 4 panels high, cambered tie beam with
vertical struts and collar.
INTERIOR: contains 3-bay cruck hall-house. Jacobean staircase
and good early cast-iron grate in ground-floor room to right
of entrance.


Listing NGR: SO4435091831

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.