This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5379 / 52°32'16"N
Longitude: -2.8082 / 2°48'29"W
OS Eastings: 345276
OS Northings: 293641
OS Grid: SO452936
Mapcode National: GBR BG.F79Y
Mapcode Global: VH75V.8GRT
Entry Name: The Bucks Head Public House
Listing Date: 4 July 1952
Last Amended: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483717
Location: Church Stretton, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Church Stretton
Built-Up Area: Church Stretton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Church Stretton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO4593 HIGH STREET
1312-1/13/81 (West side)
04/07/52 The Bucks Head Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
The Bucks Head)
Manor house now public house. Late C16 or early C17 with late
C17 extensions, C19 and early C20 alterations and extensions.
Red brick with ashlar dressings of quoins, string courses and
parapet, coursed stone plinth. Plain-tile roofs partly with
parapet gables, partly projecting brick rear gable stack with
ashlar dressings with 2 diagonal brick shafts, integral brick
stack on front gable, early C20 rebuilt ridge and eaves
chimneys on extension wings. Plan of original core of
C16-early C17 range with gable to street, with early
extensions to the south side and C20 extension wing to the
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Street front with central gable and
recessed smaller gable to left and long late C17 range to far
left; C20 extension range to right. Main gable-end of restored
diaper patterned brickwork with 2 ashlar windows with string
course over, restored ashlar 3-light mullioned and transomed
window on the ground floor. Left return side with 2 C19
2-light wood mullion and transom casements over ashlar mullion
and transom window. Small gable to left with single ashlar
mullion window with stepped dripmould over, ashlar shield
dated 1808 in gable apex, segmental arched doorway to ground
floor and small ashlar window to left. Left return side with
painted rendered gable and casement window.
Long late C17 range masked by projecting C19 and C20 gabled
and flat-roofed extensions, C20 casements in gable end.
Rear: central gable, recessed early C20 range to left, late
C17 coursed stone rubble range to right; restored gable with
central chimney flanked by ashlar dressed windows at each
storey; 2 C20 windows in each storey of late C17 range.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
First licensed as an Inn c1700 and the current building
incorporates the original manor house.
Listing NGR: SO4527693641
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings