This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4978 / 52°29'52"N
Longitude: -2.7534 / 2°45'12"W
OS Eastings: 348951
OS Northings: 289146
OS Grid: SO489891
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.HNV3
Mapcode Global: VH83J.7H80
Entry Name: New Hall
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Last Amended: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483722
Location: Eaton-under-Heywood, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Eaton-under-Heywood
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Eaton under Heywood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
EATON UNDER HEYWOOD
SO48NE New Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
House. C16 with later alterations, mid-C20 restoration. The original timber-framed fabric now encased in red brick on stone rubble plinth to front and partly exposed to rear. Plain-tile roofs. Lateral brick ridge stack with 4 spurred shafts with connecting oversailing cap. H-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: main 2-storey, 3-window range of casements. Projecting gables at each end with casements at both storeys, front entrance door in left return side of right-hand gable which is covered by canopy formed from extension of the gable-end roof-pitch. C20 metal casements with square leaded lights. Rear: projecting brick gable at each end of a timber-framed central range. Full-height close-studded timber frame to right-hand bays, the square framing 2 panels high with inset diagonal bracing at upper storey over close-studded lower storey to left bay, 3 casements. Left-hand gable-end with single casement over hipped tiled bay window, square framing with inset diagonal bracing on right return side at upper level. Right-hand gable-end with casement at each storey and close studding on left return side at upper storey.
INTERIOR: In upper level of hall (formerly the Great Chamber) is c.1560 wall painting, done directly on the timber-framed interior wall, and stretching over 4 plaster panels and supporting stud, rails and brace. Approximately 1.9 metres high by 2.1 metres wide, it represents a stag-hunt; a bearded huntsman spearing a stag held by hounds, in background a house and with border decoration of tree foliage. Drawing is principally black on white ground, with patches of red. In a downstairs room, the former Parlour, is a room of panelling (formerly covering the painting at first floor level) with chamfered cross beams to ceiling. Concealed behind the panelling are 6 panels of paintings, these designed to cover only the plaster in-fill and executed on an earthen render with a limewash layer but not an intermediary lime plaster. The upper panels comprise Bay 1: three figures including male in profile, male figure in ruffle with bag pipe, and male in profile wearing a pike's helmet, Bay 2: three figures including a woman with Tudor rose and forget-me-not, a central woman with lute or cittern, and bearded man with his hands on his hips, Bay 4: a man ringing a white bell, second man with an instrument that may be a viol and part of a bird and crouching monkey to the right, also with head of a dog similar to those in the hunting scene. Below these are surviving bays of a black and white decorative scheme in an Italianate style, and with a hare. To upper floor north room, a fragment of painting to the top of a wooden post with stencilling and initials.
HISTORY: Built with an H-plan of regional interest as an example of an 'early modern house': fully floored with the Great Chamber above, screens passage, service rooms to north and parlour to south, altogether a development from the 3-part Medieval plan of a clearly defined solar, service ends and screen passage flanking an open hall. The floor in the central bay has been removed and changes made in the mid-C20. The C17 panelling formerly in the Great Chamber (covering the Stag painting), was moved in the C20 to the Parlour, and later hinged to reveal the paintings in that room.
SOURCE: Madge Moran, Vernacular Buildings of Shropshire (Logaston Press, 2003).
Listed at Grade II* for its particular special interest as a c.1560 house of H-plan with original timber framing, a room of C17 panelling and three contemporary wall painting schemes including a stag hunting scene in the former Great Chamber and several Tudor figures, animals, and Italianate style decoration in the former ground floor Parlour, all having intricate iconographical interest.
Listing NGR: SO4894989147
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings