This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4936 / 52°29'36"N
Longitude: -2.7639 / 2°45'49"W
OS Eastings: 348234
OS Northings: 288681
OS Grid: SO482886
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.J07P
Mapcode Global: VH83J.1LQ8
Entry Name: Harton Manor
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383314
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483732
Location: Eaton-under-Heywood, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Eaton-under-Heywood
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Eaton under Heywood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
EATON UNDER HEYWOOD
1312-1/10/123 Harton Manor
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17 framing with late C17 brick
additions and later alterations. Brick wing with brick bands
at gable ends on rubble plinth, painted timber-framed wing
with painted brick infill panels, with painted rendered and
rubble stone gable end. Plain-tile and slate roofs. Projecting
stepped brick chimney at east eaves with profiled brick upper
shaft, large brick stack at ridge of framed wing with 3
star-shaped brick shafts with restored caps. Original L-shaped
plan with parallel wing added.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey and attic. West front with projecting gable
end of framed wing to left now cement rendered and covered at
lower level by later lean-to extension. To right is a brick
wing, the first floor rendered, both floors painted, fitted
with 3-light casement at each floor.
North side: to right is side wall-frame of close-studded
framing with large central framed dormer with decorative
star-shaped bracing in gable truss. 3-light leaded casement at
both floors. To left is projecting brick gable of brick wing
with 2 C19 wood mullion and transom windows in brick
segmental-arched openings at both storeys and at ground storey
of right return wall, and with single C20 2-light attic
East side of brick wing: single 2-light casement at each
floor, projecting stack to right.
South side: to right is brick gable-end mirroring the opposing
north gable end. To left is a projecting stone rubble gable
with right return side having upper storey of square framing 3
panels high over lower stone wall incorporating 3-light
INTERIOR: dog-leg stair in brick wing with twisted balusters,
carved handrail and closed string. Kitchen fireplace with
double ovolo moulded mantelbeam and moulded ashlar flanking
walls. Inscription on stone over kitchen fireplace and in
upper room: `1615 R.W. C.A.W.' referring to Richard Ward, the
probable builder of the house.
Listing NGR: SO4823488681
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings