This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5057 / 52°30'20"N
Longitude: -2.7383 / 2°44'17"W
OS Eastings: 349986
OS Northings: 290007
OS Grid: SO499900
Mapcode National: GBR BK.H6JQ
Mapcode Global: VH83J.H970
Plus Code: 9C4VG746+7M
Entry Name: Church of St Edith
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383306
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483724
Location: Eaton-under-Heywood, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Eaton-under-Heywood
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Eaton under Heywood
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
EATON UNDER HEYWOOD
1312-1/6/114 Church of St Edith
Church. C12 nave and tower, C13 chancel with C15 alterations,
MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof
with fleur-de-lys ornamental ridge tiles and ashlar finial in
shape of a cross. Pyramid tile roof to tower.
PLAN: plan of integral chancel and nave with projecting south
porch and south tower. Nave floor level gradually rises from
west to east.
EXTERIOR: chancel and nave with 3 lancets in east wall from
the 1868 restoration. North wall: 3 buttresses with ashlar
coping. Flat-headed window with 4-light cusped lancet tracery
and pointed window with cusped intersecting tracery to left.
To right are 2 round-headed lancets flanking plain arched
doorway, altered to form window. South wall: centre covered by
south tower; 2-light cusped window to right with truncated
apex, and 2 round-headed lancets flanking segmental arched
door to left. West gable-end with cinquefoil roundel over
Tudor-arched window with cusped lancet tracery.
3-stage tower with battered plinth; arched doorway to south,
round-headed lancet to middle stage; each face of upper stage
has round-headed opening with central column supporting 2
smaller round-headed arches with string courses above and
below. Crenellated parapet with a pinnacle on each merlon.
South porch with stone side walls and opposing 3-light
windows; truss over opening of heavy swept tie beam,
principals, decorative infill, single swept purlin roof with
INTERIOR: unplastered walls with raised ribbon pointing. 2-bay
chancel roof with low-pitched timber ceiling consisting of 3
trusses with moulded cranked tie beams; 5 moulded cranked
bridging beams with 2 moulded joists per bay with carved
bosses at the intersections. West chancel roof truss filled
with armorial paintings.
6-bay nave roof of arch-braced collar trusses and with
alternate trusses with deep swept tie beams, with the
principals without tie beams terminating in restored carved
figurative bosses. Trenched purlins with intermediate
principal linking top and bottom purlins, moulded to the east
bays and chamfered to the west bays.
Pulpit with canopy and desk, dated 1670, the pulpit ledge on
carved brackets. North side of chancel has tomb recess of
cinquefoiled canopy with ball-flower ornament. Set in recess
is C14 wooden male effigy (1.85 metres long) reputed to be the
Lord of the Manor of the period. Unadorned bowl font with
elaborately carved C19 wood cover on pully chains. Oval stone
tablets in nave floor.
Tower roof of chamfered swept tie beam with central post.
Medieval 3-bay timber-framed bell-frame with mostly
half-lapped diagonal braced cross frames and braced end
frames; central jowled bell axle posts; lapped horizontal
corner braces on upper rails.
Listing NGR: SO4997990008
Other nearby listed buildings