History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chelmick Manor Farmhouse and Outbuildings to South

A Grade II Listed Building in Hope Bowdler, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.518 / 52°31'4"N

Longitude: -2.7854 / 2°47'7"W

OS Eastings: 346798

OS Northings: 291408

OS Grid: SO467914

Mapcode National: GBR BH.GDXY

Mapcode Global: VH75V.NZT3

Entry Name: Chelmick Manor Farmhouse and Outbuildings to South

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Last Amended: 29 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483748

Location: Hope Bowdler, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Hope Bowdler

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Hope Bowdler

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hope Bowdler

Listing Text


HOPE BOWDLER

SO49SE CHELMICK
1312-1/6/129 Chelmick Manor Farmhouse and
12/11/54 outbuildings to south
(Formerly Listed as:
CHELMICK
Chelmick Manor Farmhouse)

II

Manor house, now farmhouse. Late C16 or C17. Stone rubble with
some ashlar dressings, brick, rendered gable end, and ashlar
in outbuildings. Stone tiles and plain clay tiles. Projecting
brick eaves stack with ashlar quoins and 3 spurred shafts with
connecting oversailing cap joined to main roof by old stone
tiled roof. Integral stone eaves stack with C19 brick shaft.
T-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic and single storey and attic.
East front has gable to right with single ashlar twin-mullion
and transom window on first storey and triple-mullion and
transom window below, with small attic light; stepped buttress
to left and large mid-late C20 artificial stone buttress added
to right. 2-window range to left of 3-light ground-floor
casements and 2 dormers with framed gables and casements.
Central door covered by projecting stone gabled porch with
4-centred arched opening. North side with central stack and
lean-to extension covering right side. Rear: gable to left has
single range of twin-mullion windows to left side and door to
right, and C20 casement set in rendered attic gable end. Gable
probably timber-framed with twin-purlin roof evident. Right
return side of gable has latticed 2-light casement. Lower
range to right has brick lean-to.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Outbuilding range continuing to left of east front with
single-storey 2-bay unit with stone rubble to right of central
opening and ashlar wall to left side: square window opening
with ashlar flat lintel with keystone and oval datestone,
inscribed TR and 1719; internal truss of twin raking-strut
type.


Listing NGR: SO4679891408

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.