This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3271 / 52°19'37"N
Longitude: -2.5685 / 2°34'6"W
OS Eastings: 361350
OS Northings: 270043
OS Grid: SO613700
Mapcode National: GBR BS.VDCP
Mapcode Global: VH84D.FRGX
Entry Name: Parish Church
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383416
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483834
Location: Boraston, Shropshire, WR15
Civil Parish: Boraston
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Burford, 1st Portion
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO67SW Parish Church
Church. C13, renewed and enlarged 1884-1887 by Henry Curzon.
Stone rubble with ashlar dressing to nave, ashlar to chancel
and lower stage of tower, upper stage of tower weatherboarded.
Plain-tile roofs, with shingled broach spire.
PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave, tower with south porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel with late C19 hipped apsidal east end with
projecting raised gable-end with verge rafters on carved
brackets, and east window of twin lancets surmounted by
vesica. Lancets in Early English style to canted walls and
south wall. Late C19 vestry with hipped tiled roof with door
and 3-light mullion window, both with plain chamfered jambs
with rounded tops. Ashlar ridge chimney with octagonal shaft.
Nave: north wall with 3 restored cusped lancets and blocked
plain Norman north doorway. South wall with restored cusped
lancet to right and 2 C19 flat-headed windows with cusped ogee
tracery. Vestiges of blocked Norman south doorway.
Tower: lower stage with pointed arched south doorway with
hoodmould over. Large cinquefoil window to west and lancet to
north in Early English style. Upper stage of weatherboarded
timber frame jettied off ashlar corbels. Timber bell-openings
on each face with ogee lintels and louvres on cusped
projecting mullions. Shingle covered broach spire with
South porch set in angle of tower and nave. Steep tiled gabled
roof with bargeboards, shingled apex to truss with carved tie
beam with projecting cross set on bracket, cusped ogee arch
set under tie, oak timber-framed side walls on high ashlar
INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel consisting of single bay and apsidal
bay. c1884 pulpit, chancel screen and lectern. 4-bay nave roof
with 4 trusses of twin swept raking struts and one vertical
strut all set below collar, chamfered tie beam with plain
stepped chamfer stops. Restored single-purlin roof with
scissor-trussed rafters. c1700 font has bowl with raised
spirals with vestiges of earlier carving now eroded.
Listing NGR: SO6135070043
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings