This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.379 / 52°22'44"N
Longitude: -2.4808 / 2°28'50"W
OS Eastings: 367370
OS Northings: 275766
OS Grid: SO673757
Mapcode National: GBR BW.R9YW
Mapcode Global: VH847.YGDN
Entry Name: Assembly Rooms and Railings and Gatepier to South West
Listing Date: 15 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383455
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483873
Location: Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, DY14
Civil Parish: Cleobury Mortimer
Built-Up Area: Cleobury Mortimer
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cleobury Mortimer
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO6775 CHURCH STREET
582-1/13/49 (North side)
15/03/74 Assembly Rooms and railings and
gatepier to south-west
Market hall, then assembly rooms with first-floor reading
room, now civic hall. Dated 1842, remodelled and upper floor
added 1875. Ashlar, with weathered string course, and
hoodmoulds and sills to south and west sides and coursed stone
rubble to rear. Blue engineering brick at rear extension.
Slate roof with late C19 decorative bargeboards and fascia.
Simple 2-room plan with gable to street, and rear
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. South gable with tripartite 1/1:2/2:1/1
first-floor sash under hoodmould. Ground-floor c1875 wood
mullion and transom window with multi-pane lights set in
4-centred arched opening with chamfered reveals, and hoodmould
with defaced label stops. Dated crest plaque in gable.
Memorial plaque to Cleobury Volunteers, c1900, to left.
West return side: 2-storey, 4-window range, with outer bays
fitted with 2/2 sashes under hoodmoulds to first floor, and 3
ground-floor windows similar to front gable. 4-centred
entrance arch to right with inset iron grill giving into
Rear: covered by stone lean-to and late C19 2-storey tiled
gabled extension of engineering brick and coursed rubble,
formerly used to house the town's fire tender.
Gatepier of sandstone ashlar with octagonal shaft, chamfered
plinth and pyramid cap with cornice, attached to assembly
rooms by a 2 metre length of spear-head iron railings.
Gatepier one of a pair at west end of churchyard wall (qv).
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SO6737175764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings