This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4757 / 52°28'32"N
Longitude: -2.6266 / 2°37'35"W
OS Eastings: 357537
OS Northings: 286605
OS Grid: SO575866
Mapcode National: GBR BP.K41T
Mapcode Global: VH83S.F19F
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484025
Location: Abdon and Heath, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Abdon
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Abdon
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO58NE Church of St Margaret
Church. C14 rebuilt 1731. Stone rubble with ashlar dressing.
Plain-tile roof with bargeboarded verge.
PLAN: chancel and nave with bellcote and south porch.
EXTERIOR: single-bay chancel. Restored east window in
Decorated style of 2 cusped lancets with mouchettes under
hoodmould with headstops. South wall with Decorated window of
2 cusped lancets with trefoil. 3-bay nave. North side with 3
paired lancets in Early English style. South side with similar
paired lancets flanking south door. Doorway with ovolo-moulded
2-centred arch. South porch: restored roof with twin vertical
strut truss with cambered tie beam, and slots in principals
for single trenched purlin, set on porch walls. Bellcote: 2
arched bell openings under ashlar coped canopy.
INTERIOR: chancel with single-bay single-purlin roof with
swept wind braces on lower tier. West truss of twin raking
struts with cambered tie beam. Nave: 3-bay double-purlin roof
with 3 trusses and straight wind braces on lower 2 tiers. East
truss abuts truss in chancel and has straight tie beam,
king-post with 4 raking struts each side, 4 posts under tie
beam forming tripartite chancel entrance. 2 arch-braced collar
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 47).
Listing NGR: SO5753786605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings