History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashford Bowdler, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.331 / 52°19'51"N

Longitude: -2.7067 / 2°42'23"W

OS Eastings: 351941

OS Northings: 270553

OS Grid: SO519705

Mapcode National: GBR BL.V8B9

Mapcode Global: VH84B.1NGY

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383609

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484041

Location: Ashford Bowdler, Shropshire, SY8

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Ashford Bowdler

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Ashford Bowdler

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ashford Carbonell

Listing Text


ASHFORD BOWDLER

SO5170 Church of St Andrew
482-1/14/24
12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 and C15, restored 1846, 1904 and 1907. Sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof with verge with
bargeboards. Wooden turret and spire clad with wood shingles.
PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave incorporating turret
with spire, south porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel rebuilt in 1907 incorporating Norman-style
lancets each side and a Decorated-style east window of 3
cusped lancets with rose window over. Early C20 north vestry
extension. Nave with restored opposing north and south twin
cusped lancets. C19 2-centred arched window to north.
Rubble-blocked Norman doorways to north and south walls.
Decorated-style west window of twin cusped lancets with
trefoil over. C15 2-centred arched south door with early C20
slate-roofed gabled south porch. Bell-turret remodelled 1846
to create a broach spire from a needle spire, louvred
bell-openings.
INTERIOR: chancel with early C20 trussed rafter roof and
chancel arch. Nave: plastered ceiling, piscina on south wall,
mid C19 box pews and panelling from older pews forming dado
and pulpit. Monuments: 5 mid C18 to early C19 armorial tablets
to Green family including tablet with cornice and urn to
Thomas Green d.1825 by Samuel Stead of Ludlow, and tablet with
urns and obelisk to Johnathan Green d.1792 by Stephens of
Worcester. 4 mid C18 armorial tablets to Hall family. Notable
memorial to Thomas Bourke Ricketts d.1864 with genealogical
information filling main slab and 3 additional slabs under.


Listing NGR: SO5194170553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.