This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3351 / 52°20'6"N
Longitude: -2.6983 / 2°41'54"W
OS Eastings: 352512
OS Northings: 271004
OS Grid: SO525710
Mapcode National: GBR BL.V4D3
Mapcode Global: VH84B.5KVS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484060
Location: Ashford Carbonel, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Ashford Carbonel
Built-Up Area: Ashford Carbonell
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ashford Carbonell
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SW Church of St Mary
Church. C12 core with additions of the C13 and C15, restored
MATERIALS: sandstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings.
Weatherboarded timber-framed bell turret with pyramid roof.
Graduated stone tiles with stone coped gables. C12 chancel
extended C13, nave C12 extended late C13 with C15 west turret
and C19 south porch.
EXTERIOR: restored chancel east window consists of a vesica
window over 2 small restored round-headed lancets. North wall
with 2 C12 or C13 round-headed lancets. South wall with C12
round-headed lancet and a C15 window of twin cusped lancets.
C12 south priest's doorway with moulded round-arched head with
square abacus with plain chamfer under. Plain door. Nave north
wall with C12 round-headed lancet to left. C14 window to
extreme left of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil over. To
centre a late C12 doorway with round arch on plain abacus with
dog-tooth hoodmould. Plain 3-board plank door, with separate
tongue in edge-groove of board, together with single iron
strap hinge, all possibly contemporary with doorway. Door
blocked internally. South wall with C14 window to extreme left
of twin cusped lancets with quatrefoil over and C19 imitation
to extreme left. To right a single C12 round-headed lancet.
C12 south doorway with plain tympanum with plain lintel set on
abacus-type corbelled head of door jambs. Plain plank door
reputed to be medieval with single contemporary strap hinge.
West wall has single tall Transitional lancet with hoodmould
and label stops of carved heads of probable medieval date. C19
south porch with ashlar-coped projecting gabled roof and
coursed rusticated stone walls with Early-English-style arched
INTERIOR: 5-bay chancel roof from the C19 restoration with
single purlin. Tenoned purlin with cusped wind braces above
and below. Arched-braced collar trusses and cambered tie
beams. Aumbry in north wall. C12 plain round chancel arch set
on plain square abacus with chamfered soffit. 5-bay C16 nave
roof. Double trenched purlin roof with ridge piece.
Arched-braced collar with upper-collar trusses with alternate
tie beam or hammerbeam lower members. Tie beams cambered.
Vestigial hammerbeam ends with braces and wall posts below.
Ovolo chamfers to tie beams, braces, principals and collars.
C19 castellated wall plate. Bell turret inner face supported
by C15 swept arch-braced tie-beams with twin struts over.
Struts flanking half-lapped cross strutting below collar. All
sections plain chamfered. Plain C12 tub font on C19
pillared-stem and base. Piscina with scalloped bowl in sill of
south-east nave window. C15 stained glass survives in the
quatrefoil of this window. Reset tomb slab in south-east
corner of chancel of late C14 with vestiges of raised carved
cross with fleur-de-lys embellishment. Small armorial stone
tablet to Alethea Cheese d.1713. 2 small late C18 brasses (one
a rebus to member of Yategate family). Memorial tablet with
pediment, plaque and putti to Thomas Yate Esq. d.1777 and
Elizabeth Yate d.1769.
(An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire:
Cranage D H S: 1895-; Various: St Mary Magdalene, Ashford
Carbonel: A Guide to the Church: Leominster: 1985-).
Listing NGR: SO5251271004
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings