This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.405 / 52°24'18"N
Longitude: -2.6751 / 2°40'30"W
OS Eastings: 354166
OS Northings: 278771
OS Grid: SO541787
Mapcode National: GBR BM.PQ3C
Mapcode Global: VH83Y.LT35
Entry Name: East Lodge to Downton Hall (See Under Stanton Lacy Cp for Downton Hall)
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383655
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484087
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bitterley with Middleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57NW East Lodge to Downton Hall (see
482-1/5/60 under Stanton Lacy CP for Downton
Lodge. Dated 1857. Coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings.
Hipped slate roof with deep eaves. Central brick ridge stack
with diagonally-set cluster of 4 shafts and deep oversailing
cap. Plan of octagonal block with north wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and basement. Octagon and west side of
wing with surrounding hipped slate pentice roof set on rustic
log-posts with braces forming ground-floor arcade. Octagon:
single-light casements with ornate leaded top lights, flat
stone lintels at ground floor, C20 renewals at first floor.
Inset carved stone tablet dated 1857 with initials CHRB. West
side: C20 2-light casement in through-eaves gabled dormer.
Ground-floor bay window with 4-light part-leaded casements
with top lights over. East side: mezzanine level with stepped
floors. Ground floor has 2-light casement and single-light
casement. 2-light casement at basement. Left return wall to
south has 4-panelled entrance door with 2 upper glazed panels
and plain casement over with flat stone lintel.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
East lodge to Downton Hall built in 1857 as part of the estate
improvements of Sir Charles Henry Rouse-Boughton, as were
South Lodge and West Lodge in the parish of Stanton Lacy.
Listing NGR: SO5416678771
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings