This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4013 / 52°24'4"N
Longitude: -2.6673 / 2°40'2"W
OS Eastings: 354697
OS Northings: 278357
OS Grid: SO546783
Mapcode National: GBR BN.PS1L
Mapcode Global: VH83Y.QX80
Plus Code: 9C4VC82M+G3
Entry Name: Crowleasowes
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484116
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bitterley with Middleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
Farmhouse. Early C17 on earlier core, C19 extension wing.
Brick; stone rubble to C19 wing. Plain-tiled roof with
brick-coped gables. Large brick stepped eaves stack with 5
rows of cogged brick ornament and twin diagonally-set shafts
and oversailing capping. Integral C19 ornamental brick eaves
stack to rear and gable-end stack to front of C19 wing. PLAN:
original L-shape plan of parallel gabled wings and with third
parallel gabled wing added in C19.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. South-east front: original
portion of front has 2 gables, the left smaller than the
right; brick band overall at first floor and thinner band on
line of closely-set brick ogee-moulded corbels above upper
windows. Below larger gable a further 3 rows of brick
ornamentation (2 rows rounded, 1 cogged) and a similar 2 rows
below smaller gable. One stepped brick window with central
mullion in each gable head and 3 framed and mullioned windows
at irregular heights on first storey. 3 similar windows to
ground storey, the left window transomed. Window lights
generally metal casements with some lattice-leaded. All
mullions and frames are brick, rendered to imitate stone.
Raised brick surround to doorway of rusticated pilasters
surmounted by a brick pediment, under which is an elliptical
moulded arch; raised brick pilaster at right-hand angle
surmounted by a ball finial. Plain boarded and cross-boarded
nail-studded entrance door. C20 casements to C19 gable end to
North-east return: 2 similar windows on upper floor and one on
ground floor; brick band to first floor continued from front.
In centre a projecting brick stack. Rear at north-west: C17
gable to left mirrors that to the front but with single
2-light mullion at ground floor. C19 stone gable to right with
3/6 sash with 6/6 sash under as for south-west side.
Slate-roofed outshut between gables. Left return side
(south-west): 2-storey 3-window range with 3/6 sashes and 6/6
sashes at ground level with brick segmental arches and stone
sills. Central pair of glazed doors with doorcase of plain
pilasters and entablature.
INTERIOR: C16 core of single trenched-purlin roof in central
wing. 2 trusses survive, each of cambered tie beam, 4 vertical
struts and collar. Reused C16 oak panelling reset at
ground-floor middle bay. Reputed to have been built by Dutch
craftsmen in 1623 whilst building Kyre near Tenbury.
Listing NGR: SO5469778357
Other nearby listed buildings