This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4045 / 52°24'16"N
Longitude: -2.5735 / 2°34'24"W
OS Eastings: 361081
OS Northings: 278653
OS Grid: SO610786
Mapcode National: GBR BR.PR4N
Mapcode Global: VH840.BTVL
Plus Code: 9C4VCC3G+QJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 23 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383665
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484097
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, DY14
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Cleeton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO67NW CLEETON ST MARY
482-1/7/77 Church of St Mary
Church. 1878. By T Nicholson of Hereford for Rev George
Pardoe. Coursed squared stone with stone dressings and
plain-tile and shingle roofs, with stone-coped gables and
finials. Early English style.
PLAN: chancel, nave, west tower within nave, south porch, and
north organ chamber and vestry.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttresses with offsets and continuous
string course running over most windows as a hoodmould.
Chancel: triple lancets to east, 2 lancets to south and
lean-to vestry to north with small paired lancets and
north-east door. Nave: single and paired lancets and south
porch with timber-framed entrance arch decorated with
open-work trefoils and quatrefoil and ornamental bargeboards.
Single lancet to west of nave and single-stage tower above
with twin lancet bell-chamber openings, quatrefoil frieze and
shingle broach spire.
INTERIOR: roofs with curved braces to collars, the west bay
boarded. Chancel with aumbry, piscina and sedilia, choir
stalls and open-work screen. Nave has pulpit, font and pews.
Some stained glass. Narthex at west end formed of one large
and 2 small open arches, the large arch repeated to north and
south behind the arcade within the space and all supporting
Listing NGR: SO6108178653
Other nearby listed buildings