History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wheathill, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4154 / 52°24'55"N

Longitude: -2.5585 / 2°33'30"W

OS Eastings: 362107

OS Northings: 279852

OS Grid: SO621798

Mapcode National: GBR BS.NW9Z

Mapcode Global: VH840.LKR7

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383760

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484192

Location: Wheathill, Shropshire, DY14

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wheathill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Silvington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Silvington

Listing Text


WHEATHILL

SO67NW SILVINGTON
482-1/7/202 Church of St Michael
12/11/54

GV II*

Church. C12 and C14 with C17 additions and alterations, C19
restoration. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile
roofs.
PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, and west tower
asymmetrically set against nave. Nave in 2 widths, having been
extended into part of chancel.
EXTERIOR: chancel with restored paired cusped lancets on east
and south sides. Nave north door blocked leaving C12 round
arch exposed. 2 restored paired cusped lancets on both north
and south sides of nave. South doorway has plain tympanum
under bold roll-moulding set in recessed semicircular panel
over tympanum, with scalloped capitals with cable-moulding,
column shafts set in recess on C12 base to west and modified
later base to east. Door is studded, boarded and cross-boarded
with iron strap hinges, bearing date 1679. South porch: tiled
gabled porch with round-arched entrance in stone walls dated
1662. Plain late C12 tower with Transitional west lancet and
restored battlements.
INTERIOR: plastered ceilings and walls. Restored pointed
chancel arch. C17 carved timber panelling around altar. Late
C12 pointed single-stepped tower arch set on hollow chamfered
abaci and debased flat-leafed capitals, below which a diagonal
inset cuts across the stepping of the responds. C12 plain
circular font. Armorial tablet to Edward Mytton d.1683.
Inscription over south porch entrance: "This porch was built
by John Hil, Gent and Ursula his widow 1662".
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 289).


Listing NGR: SO6210779852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.