History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Clee St. Margaret, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4434 / 52°26'36"N

Longitude: -2.6608 / 2°39'38"W

OS Eastings: 355179

OS Northings: 283034

OS Grid: SO551830

Mapcode National: GBR BN.M1ML

Mapcode Global: VH83R.TVP7

Entry Name: Old Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Last Amended: 29 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383708

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484140

Location: Clee St. Margaret, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clee St. Margaret

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clee St Margaret and Cold Weston

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Clee Saint Margaret

Listing Text


CLEE ST MARGARET

SO58SE COLD WESTON
482-1/3/120 Old Church of St Mary
12/11/54
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Mary)

GV II

Redundant church. C12, with C14 alterations and 1876
restoration. Coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressing.
Plain-tile roof.
PLAN: chancel and nave with integral bellcote.
EXTERIOR: chancel with C14 east window of twin cusped
ogee-arched lights. Restored Early English lancet to north
side, small C12 round-headed lancet to south. Inscribed tablet
in gable end: W F/ R/ A D/ 1719 (William Fosbrooke became
Rector in 1716). Nave north wall with restored Early English
windows to left and C12 north doorway to right: chamfered
round arch with plain chamfered hoodmould and plain abacus,
chamfered door jamb. South wall with 2 restored Early English
lancets, with another to west gable with inscribed tablet in
apex over, partially illegible, dated 179... Bellcote with
single arched opening housing one bell, and coped ashlar
gabled roof, dated 1894.
INTERIOR: chancel with 2-bay restored single-purlin roof with
intermediate arch-braced truss. Twin vertical-strut and collar
truss abutting nave truss. Restored single purlin nave roof.
Intermediate arch-braced truss with upper king-post with twin
raking struts. Triple vertical-strut and collar truss abutting
chancel truss. Plain octagonal font.
(An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire:
Cranage D H S: 1895-).


Listing NGR: SO5517983034

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.