History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hopton Cangeford, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4197 / 52°25'10"N

Longitude: -2.6653 / 2°39'55"W

OS Eastings: 354850

OS Northings: 280393

OS Grid: SO548803

Mapcode National: GBR BN.NLHV

Mapcode Global: VH83Y.RFBY

Entry Name: The Old Church

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Last Amended: 29 February 2000

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484166

Location: Hopton Cangeford, Shropshire, SY8

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Hopton Cangeford

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Stoke St Milborough with the Heath

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hopton Cangeford

Listing Text


HOPTON CANGEFORD

SO58SW The Old Church
482-1/2/149
12/11/54
(Formerly Listed as:
Parish Church)

II*

Church, now pottery studios and house. 1766 with C19 apse
addition. Red brick with ashlar window surrounds and string
courses to tower stages. Plain-tile roofs with ornamental
ridge tiles, hipped chancel roofs and pyramid tower roof.
Former elements of chancel with polygonal apse, nave and west
tower are still intact.
EXTERIOR: chancel with opposing round-headed windows, and
adjoining 5-sided apse with 2 similar windows in canted faces.
Nave: 3 opposing round-headed windows, the central window
infilled with brick. West door of tower with round-headed
ashlar surround. Segmental arched niches on north and south
sides. Round-headed window at first tower stage interrupting
string course. Roundels with ashlar surrounds to 3 sides of
tower top stage and ashlar cornice to roof. All windows with
plain ashlar architraves with raised springing block, raised
pendant keyblock, and sill. Square leaded lights with radial
glazing bars in window-heads except for 2 with later leaded
lights in apse.
INTERIOR: plain panelled west gallery. Flat ceiling with
simple cornice. Mid C18 pulpit with plain panels. 2 original
box pews on south side below pulpit, one large squire's box
pew on north side with a fireplace. Late C18 memorial tablet
with urn, commemorating Hale family.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 153).

Listing NGR: SO5485080393

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.