History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wheathill, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.436 / 52°26'9"N

Longitude: -2.5575 / 2°33'27"W

OS Eastings: 362195

OS Northings: 282152

OS Grid: SO621821

Mapcode National: GBR BS.MP2H

Mapcode Global: VH840.M19C

Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484187

Location: Wheathill, Shropshire, WV16

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wheathill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Wheathill and Loughton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Farlow

Listing Text


WHEATHILL

SO68SW Church of Holy Trinity
482-1/4/211
12/11/54

II*

Church. C12 and C14, C17 alterations, restored C19. Coursed
and uncoursed rubble walls with ashlar dressings. Plain-tile
roofs with ashlar coped gable to west.
PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch and integral bellcote.
EXTERIOR: chancel with arched east window in Decorated style
with 3 cusped lancets and foiled tracery. C12 round-headed
lancet on north wall. Blocked south doorway with ogee arch.
C14 arched window of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil on south
wall. Nave with 2 restored arched Decorated-style windows with
twin cusped lancets and quatrefoil to north side, and one
similar window to south side. C12 south doorway with plain
tympanum with diaper hatching set in arched opening with bold
roll-moulding set in recess in arch, diapered abaci on crude
scroll-moulded capitals with plain shafts. South porch of C19
with buttressed ashlar-coped gable with arched entrance
opening. West wall rebuilt in C19 with lancet surmounted by
clerestory quatrefoil set in tall arched recess flanked by
buttresses with ashlar-coped offsets. Rebuilt wall has angle
buttresses at the corners and is surmounted by ashlar bellcote
with 2 arched bell-openings set under an ashlar-coped gabled
canopy.
INTERIOR: single-bay single-purlin chancel roof with straight
wind brace. Single truss with cambered tie beam, and twin
raking struts. C12 chancel arch has bold roll-moulding in arch
recess set on abaci with diaper pattern on the soffit chamfer,
crude scroll-moulded capitals on plain shafts. C17 communion
rails. Nave: C17 3-bay chamfered double trenched-purlin roof
with 2 trusses; straight tie beam, 4 vertical struts with
outer pair with rail over, central pair framing curved arched
braces set on simple brackets with pendant at head of arch,
twin raking struts over collar. Diagonally-set ridge with
scalloped wind braces. Chancel memorials: small stone tablet
with winged head to the Rector Henry Holland d.1684. Memorial
tablet to Rev Taylor and family d.1760.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 47).

Listing NGR: SO6219582152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.