History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Wheathill, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4435 / 52°26'36"N

Longitude: -2.5668 / 2°34'0"W

OS Eastings: 361567

OS Northings: 282990

OS Grid: SO615829

Mapcode National: GBR BS.M0RY

Mapcode Global: VH83T.GVC5

Entry Name: Parish Church

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383759

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484191

Location: Wheathill, Shropshire, WV16

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wheathill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Wheathill and Loughton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Farlow

Listing Text


WHEATHILL

SO68SW LOUGHTON
482-1/4/201 Parish Church
12/11/54

GV II

Church. Dated 1622, restored 1904. Church replaces chapel of
pre-1291. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings, coursed stone
rubble to additions. Plain-tile roofs with projecting verge.
PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave with integral bellcote,
and south porch.
EXTERIOR: chancel east window of twin segmental-headed lights
with 3-lobed inset in spandrel. Restored scissor truss exposed
under gable bargeboards. Blocked south doorway with flat stone
slab lintel. Early C20 projecting tiled gabled vestry
extension partly masks north wall. Nave with pair of opposing
lattice-leaded 2-light segmental-headed windows, that to the
north restored, that to the south with dated inscription over.
South doorway with round-headed arch with ovolo-moulded
chamfer. Early C20 south porch with tiled gabled roof and
arched stone opening. West window is early C20 lancet.
Bellcote over west gable with single bell set in round-arched
opening below coped ashlar canopy roof.
INTERIOR: single-bay chancel roof with restored scissor and
collar truss. Pointed chancel arch in Early English style with
string course with chamfer forming abacus, reputed to
incorporate C12 material. Restored 3-bay single purlin nave
roof with queen-post trusses. Inscription over south window
reads: THIS CHURCH WAS BUILTE BY THE RIGHT WORTH. BONHAM
NORTON ESQ AN DOM 1622.
Church is of special interest for date of construction.

Listing NGR: SO6156782990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.