History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Richard's Castle (Shropshire), Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3342 / 52°20'3"N

Longitude: -2.7428 / 2°44'34"W

OS Eastings: 349483

OS Northings: 270936

OS Grid: SO494709

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.V5FJ

Mapcode Global: VH849.DLVG

Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 July 1988

Last Amended: 29 February 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383776

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484208

Location: Richard's Castle (Shropshire), Shropshire, SY8

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Richard's Castle (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Richards Castle

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ashford Carbonell

Listing Text


RICHARDS CASTLE

SO47SE BATCHCOTT
482-1/8/160 Rectory Farmhouse
01/07/88
(Formerly Listed as:
Rectory Cottage)

II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1828. Coursed squared stone with
some brick to rear; slate roof with stone lateral and rear
stacks with inset panelled brick shafts. Front range with
cross wing and rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 2-window range includes cross wing to right.
Restored casements with top lights under Tudor-style
hoodmoulds and with stone sills. Central plank door with open
porch supported on iron shafts with ornamental trefoiled
pendant cresting under flat hood. Tablet over with Tudor-style
hoodmould and inscribed "RFH 1828". Canted 5-light bay window
to left and 3-light window to right. Lean-to against left
return wall with 2-light window. Main gables have pendant
trefoiled bargeboards, lesser gables with pendant lobed or
plain bargeboards. Partly brick rear wing converted from
livestock accommodation. Restored 2-light casements with
segmental brick arched lintels to rear and side windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Reputed to have been built by the Rector, Robert Fitzwilliam
Halifax, in 1828 as a house with smallholding for his curate.

Listing NGR: SO4948370936

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.