This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3273 / 52°19'38"N
Longitude: -2.7356 / 2°44'8"W
OS Eastings: 349963
OS Northings: 270164
OS Grid: SO499701
Mapcode National: GBR BK.VF64
Mapcode Global: VH849.JRNS
Entry Name: Mitnell Farmhouse
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383798
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484230
Location: Richard's Castle (Shropshire), Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Richard's Castle (Shropshire)
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Richards Castle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO47SE MITNELL LANE, Mitnell
482-1/8/163 (North West side)
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1674 with C20 extensions. Stone
rubble with plain clay tiles. Stone projecting end stacks with
brick shafts and brick ridge stack.
EXTERIOR: south front to garden is a 4-window range consisting
of two 3-light casements flanking a reset 2-light casement
with an additional C20 3-light casement in the C20 extension
to left. At ground-floor level the central C17 bay has a
4-panelled door under a C20 projecting tiled gabled open
porch. Right-hand gable end: 2 C17 chamfered oak-framed cellar
openings with inserted mullions. C20 casements to ground and
attic floors. Rear (north): 2 C17 oak chamfered mullioned
windows of 2-lights with the same to left at ground level.
Former central doorway infilled with 3-light casement set on
stone with ogee-stop-chamfered lintel surviving. C20
single-storey extension to right with entrance door.
INTERIOR: ogee-chamfer-stopped bridging beam and mantle-beam
in east bay. Full-height square-panelled cross-frame between
east and central bays. Central bays with chamfered bridging
beams with morticed soffits. Ogee-chamfer-stopped mantlebeam
with inscribed initials and date. First-floor west bay has
ogee-chamfer-stopped mantle-beam with diamond inscription.
Single trenched-purlin roof with 2 twin-raking-strut trusses.
Inscription on mantle beam: 'RS' over '1674' set in an incised
border and flanked by 'T' and 'B': Reputed to be Richard
Salwey (Lord of Manor) and Thomas Bezand (tenant).
Listing NGR: SO4996370164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings