History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lodge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Richard's Castle (Shropshire), Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3454 / 52°20'43"N

Longitude: -2.7352 / 2°44'6"W

OS Eastings: 350011

OS Northings: 272178

OS Grid: SO500721

Mapcode National: GBR BK.T79Q

Mapcode Global: VH849.J9VV

Entry Name: The Lodge

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383781

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484213

Location: Richard's Castle (Shropshire), Shropshire, SY8

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Richard's Castle (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Richards Castle

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ludlow

Listing Text


RICHARDS CASTLE

SO57SW OVERTON
482-1/9/171 The Lodge
12/11/54

GV II*

Country house. Probably 1783 with earlier core. By Thomas
Symonds of Hereford. Painted stone ashlar with parapeted
part-hipped slate roof and part-rendered brick ridge and end
stacks. Late Classical style with channelled rusticated
plinth, corner pilasters, storey bands and cornice.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and basement. Entrance front is a
5-window range disposed 1:3:1, the centre slightly advanced
with 4/4:6/6:4/4 sashes over a Roman Doric porch with 4
columns supporting an entablature, with triglyph and paterae
frieze and balustrade. The centre first-floor window has
console brackets and swagged frieze. Over this section the
parapet is swept up and there is a flat-topped frontispiece
with 2/2:3/3:2/2 sashes and 4 balls above. To either side of
the central section are 6/6 sashes with moulded architraves,
the ground floor with husk swags. A flight of steps leads up
to the porch which has glazed double doors and 2/4 sashes
within, and balustrades under the sashes and to sides. Windows
in basement and ornamental semicircular openings under porch.
Returned fronts are 3- and 4-window ranges of 6/6 sashes and a
similar canted bay each with 6/6 sashes, plinth, balustrades
below the windows, and balustraded parapet. 2-light dormers
behind main roof parapet. Behind the left front is a
single-storey service range linking to the stables (qv) and
behind the right front a projecting range with simple canted
bay and two 6/6 sashes over, with further single-storey wing
behind.
INTERIOR: fine cantilevered stone staircase with
lyre-patterned cast-iron balusters, and chimneypieces with
scrolled consoles on fluted Ionic columns.


Listing NGR: SO5001172178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.