History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Acre Farmhouse and Attached Farm Buildings at East and West Ends

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2763 / 54°16'34"N

Longitude: -2.3987 / 2°23'55"W

OS Eastings: 374134

OS Northings: 486817

OS Grid: SD741868

Mapcode National: GBR CLPZ.HT

Mapcode Global: WH94D.4S01

Entry Name: Acre Farmhouse and Attached Farm Buildings at East and West Ends

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484246

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD78NW DENTDALE
162-1/11/12 (North side)
16/03/54 Acre Farmhouse and attached farm
buildings at east and west ends
(Formerly Listed as:
DENTDALE
Acre & farm buildings adjoining to
east & west & lying to the south)

GV II

Farmhouse with added house, now integrated. Dated 1711 on
porch, but probably earlier. The earlier portion is of coursed
sandstone rubble, the addition of coursed rubble, both with
quoins; stone slate roof. Linear plan on east-west axis,
facing south: a single-depth 2-unit main range with a porch to
the front and a wing to the rear (both probably added), a
1-unit dwelling added to the east end of this, and later
outbuildings added to both ends.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 4+2 windows. The 4-window range has a
drip-course over the ground floor, interrupted by a wide
lean-to porch offset left of centre which has in its east side
a doorway with a shaped lintel with stylised fleur-de-lys in
the centre and panels to left and right with raised lettering
"D / T B" and "1711", and a stone slate hoodmould. To the left
the ground floor has a round-headed 1-light fire-window, with
decorated spandrels and a 2-light double-chamfered mullioned
window, linked by 2 inserted lights (forming an irregular
5-light window); and to the right similar mullioned windows of
3 and 2 lights (the latter lacking the mullion). The 1st floor
has a similar round-headed window to the left, now blocked,
and three 2-light windows all lacking the mullion. The
addition to the right has a doorway at the junction, a 2-light
flush-mullion window and a 1-light window at ground floor,
both with hoodmoulds, and 2 small 1-light windows above.
Square chimneys on the ridge: one at each former gable and one
at the junction. Narrow outbuildings at each end, each with a
doorway next to the junction. Rear: small fire-window to each
portion; gabled wing to centre of main range, with
through-stones and small windows.
INTERIOR: stone lateral partition wall between bays of main
range; 2 chamfered lateral beams in room to right, the 2nd
formerly a smokehood bressumer, the 1st with joists tenoned
into on its west side only and the space between them (now
ceiled) formerly bridged by later joists laid on top of the
beams: suggesting a formerly open housepart with a loft at the
west end (cf. Hud's House, qv).

Listing NGR: SD7413486817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.