This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.271 / 54°16'15"N
Longitude: -2.395 / 2°23'42"W
OS Eastings: 374372
OS Northings: 486218
OS Grid: SD743862
Mapcode National: GBR CMQ1.8Q
Mapcode Global: WH94D.5XS5
Plus Code: 9C6V7JC3+9X
Entry Name: Birchentree Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Last Amended: 18 October 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484254
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/11/20 (South side)
14/06/84 Birchentree Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
Birchentree and attached barn to
Farmhouse. Early C18 (built-in cupboard dated 1720), extended
in C19, and altered in earlier C20. White-painted rubble with
quoins, stone slate roof. L-plan formed by a single-depth
2-unit range on east-west axis, facing north, with a gabled
rear wing to the 2nd unit and a 1-bay addition at the east
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 1+4 windows. The 4-window range has some
random through-stones, a small gabled porch in the centre, and
a small round-headed window on each floor immediately to the
left (the lower one blocked (both perhaps re-located). To the
left of these a 2-light casement on each floor, and to the
right 2 similar casements. The added bay to the left has a
doorway next to the junction, with a board door, a small
square 4-pane sash to the left and a 2-light casement above.
Ridge chimney at the junction, gable chimney to the right.
Barn attached to right-hand gable (qv). Rear: several small
windows including two 4-pane casements, and at ground floor of
the wing gable wall a 2-light stone mullioned window with a
hoodmould, a floating stone slate drip-course above this.
[Note: numerous chamfered stone sills, lintels and mullions
now used as coping to yard wall in front of house show that
the windows were formerly mullioned.]
INTERIOR: thick lateral stone partition wall to left of
doorway; housepart to right (now with inserted partition to
make entrance lobby) has 2 lateral beams, with exposed scored
joists to the east of the first of these (suggesting a former
cock-loft) but is otherwise ceiled, and a built-in 2-tier
cupboard in the west wall with fielded panels and inlaid
lettering "G /T A/ 1720"; living-kitchen to left has built-in
cupboard with shouldered panels.
Forms group with barn attached at west end (qv).
Listing NGR: SD7437286218
Other nearby listed buildings