This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2776 / 54°16'39"N
Longitude: -2.3762 / 2°22'34"W
OS Eastings: 375602
OS Northings: 486947
OS Grid: SD756869
Mapcode National: GBR CLVZ.CC
Mapcode Global: WH94D.GRQ3
Plus Code: 9C6V7JHF+2G
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484266
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/12/33 (North side)
14/06/84 Church of St John the Evangelist
Formerly known as: Kirkthwaite Chapel DENTDALE.
Formerly known as: Cowgill Chapel DENTDALE.
Church. 1837-8. Coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof. Early
English style. Six-bay nave with west bellcote and short 1-bay
chancel with attached vestry in north angle.
EXTERIOR: simple buttresses to three-quarter height, one tall
lancet in each bay except the first, which is wider and has a
gabled wooden porch protecting a 2-centred arched doorway, and
a square slated bellcote on the ridge with wooden louvres and
a steep pyramidal roof with a weathervane. The west gable has
a short central buttress flanked by lancets and an oculus
above and between these. The chancel has a stepped
triple-lancet east window.
INTERIOR: single vessel with very small sanctuary; plastered
walls; scissor roof trusses with kingposts; pitch-pine
benches; organ in south-east corner. The south wall has 3
arched marble wall monuments commemorating members of the Elam
family: (1) Robert Elam C.E., d.1855 at Thorns Hall (Sedbergh
CP, qv); (2) John Elam, Deputy Lieutenant and Justice of the
Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire, d.1862 at Thorns Hall;
(3) Catherine Elam, d.1874 and Lucy Elam, d.1883, both at
Thorns Hall. (See also Monument to Lucy Elam, Dentdale, qv).
The north wall has a sculpted wall monument with a seated
angel inscribed "G.Nelson, Sculp." commemorating: Anne, widow
of John Blackmore, d.1888 at Broadfield House (qv), her father
Paul Nixon of Stone House (qv), d.1850, Anne his wife, d.1849,
and also George Nelson, sculptor, died London 1888; and a
smaller monument commemorating Dora Blackmore, d.1890 at
HISTORICAL NOTE: the subject of Professor Adam Sedgwick's "A
Memorial to Cowgill Chapel" (1868): a plea for the ancient
name of Cowgill to be retained.
Forms group with associated gate piers (qv).
Listing NGR: SD7560286947
Other nearby listed buildings