History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Cowgill Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2794 / 54°16'45"N

Longitude: -2.375 / 2°22'29"W

OS Eastings: 375680

OS Northings: 487148

OS Grid: SD756871

Mapcode National: GBR CLVY.MQ

Mapcode Global: WH94D.HP8Q

Entry Name: West Cowgill Farmhouse

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383949

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484381

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Newby Head

Listing Text


DENT

SD78NE DENTDALE
162-1/12/152 (North side)
16/03/54 West Cowgill Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
DENTDALE
(North side)
West Cowgill)

GV II

Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1705 on porch; enlarged and
altered. White-painted rubble with quoins, slate roof. Long
single-depth 2-unit plan, plus rear wing to right-hand end,
full-height outshut added in rear angle at an early date, and
a further outshut added to the rear of this.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 2 widely-spaced windows. In the centre
is a wide gabled porch which has an outer doorway with a
shaped lintel on which is worn raised lettering "HD 1705"
(picked out in black paint); at ground floor close to the left
of this porch is a small formerly 2-light mullioned window
lacking the mullion, and above the left side of the porch roof
are traces of a formerly similar window; otherwise, the front
has two late C19 mullioned windows on each floor (3 lights at
ground floor and 2 lights above) all with square-cut surrounds
and flat-faced flush mullions, those to the left vertically
aligned near the corner and that to the right at ground floor
offset slightly to the right. Gable chimneys. The rear outshut
has an old blocked 2-light mullioned window, and the west wall
of the rear wing has a similar window at 1st floor.
INTERIOR: entrance passage made by C19 inserted partition on
right and original partition on left incorporating a large
built-in cupboard; 3 large chamfered beams in housepart to
right (the front end of that in the centre now suspended over
the C19 window by a large iron strap); 2 similar beams in the
room to the left (one similarly suspended).


Listing NGR: SD7568087148

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.