History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3023 / 54°18'8"N

Longitude: -2.513 / 2°30'46"W

OS Eastings: 366712

OS Northings: 489753

OS Grid: SD667897

Mapcode National: GBR BLWP.QH

Mapcode Global: WH94B.C4K3

Entry Name: Gate

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383869

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484301

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


DENT

SD68NE DENTDALE
162-1/10/69 (North side)
14/06/84 Gate

GV II

Large house. Early C18, remodelled and greatly enlarged in 2
phases, first in 1825 second in 1888 by Robert Burra Random;
altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with freestone dressings and
green slate roofs. Complicated and irregular plan on east-west
axis facing south, comprised of a hall range with a projected
porch, a receding wing to the left (coupled with another at
the rear), a prominent gabled wing to the right (which appears
to incorporate the earliest surviving fabric), and an eastward
extension to that with a matching gabled wing to the right.
Mostly Gothick style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys throughout. The hall range has a gabled
2-storey porch (probably 1888) with diagonal buttresses, a
Tudor-arched doorway with a large carved plaque above it, a
small round-headed window at 1st floor and elaborately
traceried bargeboards; and early C19 windows on both floors,
mostly 2-light sashes and all with Gothick glazing bars and
hoodmoulds. The gable to the left, in similar style, has a
large added polygonal bay window at ground floor, with
geometric leaded glazing. The re-entrant side of the wing to
the right (which has old render) has a pair of original small
2-light windows with chamfered mullions at ground floor under
a continuous hoodmould; the gable of this and the east wing
both have battered canted bays with mullion-and-transom
windows at 1st floor. The range between them has a garage at
ground floor and a 2-light sash above. Various square chimneys
with cylindrical shafts. Attached to the south-east corner is
a flight of steps to a balustraded terrace. The west side of
the receding west wing has an exceptionally large rectangular
window with mullions and transoms and an arched light in the
centre; and gabled half-dormers with Gothick sashes like those
at the front. The rear has mostly unhorned sashes with glazing
bars.
INTERIOR: neo-Gothick hall and staircase, panelled dining
room, 1st-floor drawing room and landing with early Gothick
panelling and Renaissance-style fireplace.
Forms group with sundial in forecourt (qv) and with gateway to
south-east corner of garden (qv).


Listing NGR: SD6671289753

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.