This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2724 / 54°16'20"N
Longitude: -2.4082 / 2°24'29"W
OS Eastings: 373512
OS Northings: 486383
OS Grid: SD735863
Mapcode National: GBR CMM1.F7
Mapcode Global: WH94C.ZWD2
Entry Name: Gibbs Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 14 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484307
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/11/75 (North side)
14/06/84 Gibbs Hall Farmhouse
Farmhouse and cottage, now house. Probably early to mid C18
(contains 2 spice cupboards, dated 1705 and 1737), in 2
builds; altered. Sandstone rubble, mostly coursed and
watershot but the 3rd bay random, with quoins, all painted
white; stone slate roof. Single-depth 3-unit plan on east-west
axis, facing south, with added rear outshut to the centre.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 4 windows (irregular). The centre bay
has a gabled porch protecting a square-headed doorway with a
part-glazed door, a 3-light window to the left with flat-faced
flush mullions, and at 1st floor a small square 2-light
casement and a pair of small 2-light mullioned windows (offset
left of centre); to the left the 1st bay has a small 2-light
mullioned window at ground floor; and to the right the 3rd bay
has a doorway abutting the junction, a square 9-pane fixed
window to the right and two 9-pane casements above. Ridge
chimney at junction of 1st and 2nd bays, gable chimneys at
both ends. The left gable wall has a doorway, and the rear
wall of this bay has a doorway to a hayloft; the right-hand
gable wall has through-stones.
INTERIOR: 1st bay has 2 substantial axial beams and C18
fireplace with corbelled lintel; 3rd bay has smaller C18
fireplace flanked by spice cupboards, one with butterfly
hinges and decorated raised lettering "1705" in the lower
panel and remains of "G B" in the upper, and the other with a
square fielded panel and incised lettering "B / G M / 1737"
Forms group with Gibbs Hall (qv), telephone kiosk to south
(qv) and lime kiln to north-west (qv).
Listing NGR: SD7351286383
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings