History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Basil Busk

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2728 / 54°16'22"N

Longitude: -2.4135 / 2°24'48"W

OS Eastings: 373170

OS Northings: 486433

OS Grid: SD731864

Mapcode National: GBR CML1.82

Mapcode Global: WH94C.WVWR

Entry Name: Basil Busk

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484251

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD78NW DENTDALE
162-1/11/17 (North side)
14/06/84 Basil Busk
(Formerly Listed as:
DENTDALE
Basil Busk and Barn to south-west)

GV II

Farmhouse and cottage, now all one house. Three builds, the
first probably mid to later C17 and the last probably earlier
C18 (window lintel dated 1717); altered. Coursed rubble with
quoins, stone slate roof. Linear single-depth plan on
east-west axis facing south, 3 units, the earliest at the east
end and the latest at the west end; with 2 rear outshuts.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 6 windows, grouped 2:2:2, with a
vertical joint between the 2nd and 3rd of these. The earliest
portion at the east end has a square-headed doorway offset
left, with a monolithic lintel, a 2-light casement each side
and a 1-light fire-window to the right, three 2-light
mullioned windows at 1st floor (all with renewed flat-faced
mullions), and a large corbelled chimney at the gable. The
centre portion has a gabled porch to the left with a low
square-headed outer doorway, a square 10-pane sash at ground
floor flanked by rectangular 6-pane fixed windows, a pair of
square 8-pane sashes at 1st floor offset slightly left; and a
large square chimney on the ridge at the junction with the
east portion. The portion to the west of the porch has a stone
slate drip-course, a square 6-pane and a low oblong 10-pane
fixed window at ground floor, both with monolith lintels and
the latter inscribed "G / L E / 1717", 2 square 8-pane sashes
at 1st floor (that to the right with the lintel of a formerly
wider opening, like that below); and a gable chimney to the
left with a triangular stone slate cap. Rear: built partly
back-to-earth; 2 outshuts under catslide roofs.
INTERIOR: 2 very thick lateral partition walls, that between
the centre and west portions with a window at attic level; 2
lateral beams in eastern portion, the second of these formerly
a smokehood bressumer, with original joists; re-built stone
staircase mounting up rear wall of this room; series of narrow
lateral beams in western portion, and C18 cupboard built into
rear wall of this room. East portion has 2 roof trusses made
of re-used timbers.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the eastern portion was originally a 1-unit
2-storey house, similar to Blands (qv), Blea Beck (qv),
Roantree (qv) and West Stonehouse (qv): a type characteristic
of this dale in the later C17.

Listing NGR: SD7317086433

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.