History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mire House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2976 / 54°17'51"N

Longitude: -2.4956 / 2°29'44"W

OS Eastings: 367842

OS Northings: 489224

OS Grid: SD678892

Mapcode National: GBR CL0R.H5

Mapcode Global: WH94B.M7TQ

Entry Name: Mire House

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383920

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484352

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Millthrop

Listing Text


DENT

SD68NE DENTDALE
162-1/10/122 (North side)
14/06/84 Mire House
(Formerly Listed as:
DENTDALE
Mire House and Barn to south-east)

GV II

Farmhouse, now dwelling. Probably late C17 or early C18
(though dated 1635 on porch); extended and altered.
White-painted random rubble with quoins; stone slate roof.
Single-depth 2-unit plan on east-west axis facing south,
full-height outshut added to rear and 1-bay extension at east
end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 4 windows, almost symmetrical (except
for the extension); with a stone slate drip-course over the
ground floor. The ground floor has a gabled porch in the
centre, with a square-headed doorway, panelled door and C20
datestone inscribed "1635"; a square window to the left, now
furnished with 2-light top-hung casements, and a small 4-pane
sash to the left of that (formerly a fire-window); and two
similar 4-pane sashes to the right. The 1st floor has 4
similar small sashes almost symmetrically arranged. Large
corbelled chimney at left gable; ridge chimney at junction to
right. Full-height extension to right now has garage door at
ground floor, and no opening above. Rear: added full-height
outshut containing staircase and former dairy.
INTERIOR: chamfered lateral beams; spice-cupboard with fielded
panel door in housepart to left. Housepart and dairy now
knocked into one; staircase altered.
Forms group with barn approx. 3m to east (qv).


Listing NGR: SD6784289224

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.