History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Silverdale Cottage with Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3039 / 54°18'14"N

Longitude: -2.5223 / 2°31'20"W

OS Eastings: 366108

OS Northings: 489939

OS Grid: SD661899

Mapcode National: GBR BLTN.QX

Mapcode Global: WH94B.724V

Entry Name: Silverdale Cottage with Attached Barn

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383937

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484369

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


DENT

SD68NE DENTDALE
162-1/10/140 (North side)
14/06/84 Silverdale Cottage with attached
barn
(Formerly Listed as:
DENTDALE
Silverdale Cottage)

II

Farmhouse with attached barn. Probably early to mid C18
(contains cupboard dated 1732); altered. Coursed rubble with
quoins, the house white-washed, graduated slate roof. Linear
plan with single-depth 2-unit house on east-west axis facing
south (back to road) and barn continued at west end.
EXTERIOR: the house, 2 storeys and 2 windows, has the doorway
offset to the left with a C19 panelled door protected by a
small gabled wooden porch, a small oblong 6-pane fixed window
to the left with a stone slate drip-band, a rectangular
2-light casement to the right and a small rectangular 6-pane
fire-window to the right of that, also with a drip-band, and
at 1st floor a square 9-pane window to the left and a
rectangular 2-light casement to the right with glazing bars.
Square chimney at right-hand gable, ridge chimney at junction
to left. The barn continued to the left has a wagon doorway
next to the house with harr-hung doors and a shallow lean-to
porch. At the rear (to the road) the house has a small
rectangular stair-window near the left corner, a pair of
2-light casements near the right-hand corner and a small
square window above these; and the barn has a segmental-headed
wagon doorway at the junction, with rubble voussoirs, and the
right-hand half now blocked.
INTERIOR: housepart to right contains two C18 oak cupboards
under the stairs, one dated 1732 (and now upside down);
remains of stone oven; staircase in corner to left of
fireplace.

Listing NGR: SD6610889939

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.