History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Zion Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2764 / 54°16'35"N

Longitude: -2.4559 / 2°27'21"W

OS Eastings: 370411

OS Northings: 486846

OS Grid: SD704868

Mapcode National: GBR CL9Z.3S

Mapcode Global: WH94C.7SS0

Entry Name: Zion Chapel

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383960

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484392

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD7086 FLINTERGILL, Dent Town
162-1/25/182 (East side)
14/06/84 Zion Chapel

GV II

Congregational chapel, now United Reformed church. Dated 1835
over doorway; altered. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble with
quoins, stone slate roof. Rectangular plan on roughly
east-west axis. Single vessel.
EXTERIOR: the gabled west front, which is symmetrical, has a
round-headed doorway in the centre, with a plain surround
including simple imposts and a keystone, a 4-panelled door and
fanlight with Gothick glazing bars; a square datestone above
the doorway, inscribed "ZION / CHAPEL / 1835"; and slightly
above this a pair of short round-headed blind windows with
rubble voussoirs and painted Gothick glazing bars. Roof of
shallow pitch, with projecting purlins (probably rebuilt in
later C19 or early C20); short gable chimney. (Overlapping the
front right-hand corner is a low single-storey church room
which is not of special interest.) The rear gable and both
side walls all have 2 large round-headed windows with rubble
voussoirs and Gothick glazing bars; and the north side and the
rear each have added buttresses, strongly battered.
INTERIOR: pitch-pine fittings and furnishings including
internal porch, dado, benches and raised minister's desk.
Forms group with associated Congregational Manse to south-west
(qv).

Listing NGR: SD7041686850

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.