This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2764 / 54°16'35"N
Longitude: -2.4736 / 2°28'24"W
OS Eastings: 369261
OS Northings: 486858
OS Grid: SD692868
Mapcode National: GBR CL5Z.8S
Mapcode Global: WH94B.ZR8Z
Plus Code: 9C6V7GGG+HH
Entry Name: High House
Listing Date: 16 March 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484400
Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
Civil Parish: Dent
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
162-1/10/168 High House
Farmhouse. Dated 1687 on window at 1st floor; slightly
altered. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins (porch and rear
wall white-washed), stone slate roof. Single-depth 3-unit plan
on north-south axis facing east.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 6 windows (grouped 4:2). Between the
1st and 2nd windows is a large single-storey gabled porch with
a shallow segmental-headed outer doorway and a double-layered
inner door with pegs all over it and strap hinges. Both floors
have mullioned windows with chamfered surrounds and mullions,
and small round-headed 1-light windows; all those at ground
floor with stone slate hoodmoulds (those of 3 and 1 lights
linked): to the left of the porch a 2-light window on each
floor; to the right 3, 1, 3 (left light blocked) and 1 light
at ground floor and 1, 2, 1, 2 and 1 light above. The second
1-light window at 1st floor has lettering on the head; "C.G.
AD 1687". Square chimney on the ridge slightly to the right of
the 4th window, gable chimneys at both ends. The rear has a
small lean-to porch at the north end, 3 small inserted windows
at ground floor and a narrow 4-pane fixed window in the centre
of the 4-window portion.
INTERIOR: housepart in centre bay has 2 lateral beams, one of
which was formerly a smokehood bressumer.
HISTORICAL NOTE: mid C17 home of Capstick family (c.f.
inscription on fireplace at Blake Rigg) who were Quakers;
house was used as Quaker meeting house.
Listing NGR: SD6926186858
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings