History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rue Crofts and Attached Barn to North

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3311 / 54°19'52"N

Longitude: -2.5612 / 2°33'40"W

OS Eastings: 363601

OS Northings: 492984

OS Grid: SD636929

Mapcode National: GBR BLKC.95

Mapcode Global: WH943.MDLJ

Entry Name: Rue Crofts and Attached Barn to North

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484647

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Millthrop

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD69SW SLACKS LANE, Marthwaite
162-1/5/386 (West side (off))
14/06/84 Rue Crofts and attached barn to
north
(Formerly Listed as:
SLACKS LANE, Marthwaite
Rue Crofts and attached barns to
north and south)

GV II

Farmhouse now house, with attached barn now store. Dated 1711
on spice-cupboard; enlarged and remodelled probably in early
to mid C19, and recently altered. Slobbered rubble with
quoins, slate roofs with some stone slate to the rear slopes.
U-plan formed by 2-unit transitional double-depth house on
north-south axis facing west, with side wings attached at both
ends (that to north the barn), each with a wing projecting to
the west.
EXTERIOR: the house, 2 storeys and 2 windows, now has a small
gabled porch in the centre protecting a doorway with C20
part-glazed door, flanked on each floor by 2 large rectangular
windows with recent multi-pane joinery: that to the right at
1st floor is crossed internally at half-height by the ceiling
of the upper room, and to the right of it is the lintel of a
former 1-light window. Gable chimneys. The re-entrant side of
the south wing has an oblong window with glazing bars at
ground floor, and its gable wall has a similar window at
ground floor and a rectangular 2-light casement above. The
rear wall of the main range has (inter alia) three 2-centred
arched windows at 1st floor ,that in the centre larger and
with Y-tracery. The former barn attached to the north has a
square window at ground floor of the re-entrant and a
rectangular window at 1st floor of the gable wall.
INTERIOR: the former housepart in the south bay has 2 lateral
beams, a muntin-and-plank rear partition wall, a large C18
rectangular fireplace with a corbelled lintel and moulded
surround including a moulded false keystone, and to the right
of this a square spice-cupboard with a fielded panel which has
incised lettering "D / R R / 1711"; the chamber above (which
is the room with the ceiling crossing the window) has a
muntin-and-plank enclosure of a former smoke-hood. The north
bay has been raised and remodelled.
The former barn to south is now integrated at first floor
level with the house.

Listing NGR: SD6360192984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.