This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.443 / 53°26'34"N
Longitude: -1.9498 / 1°56'59"W
OS Eastings: 403434
OS Northings: 394021
OS Grid: SK034940
Mapcode National: GBR GXTM.PJ
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.0QTF
Entry Name: Town Hall and Market Hall with Attached Railings and Piers
Listing Date: 4 December 1958
Last Amended: 22 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384269
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484703
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
District: High Peak
Town: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Howard Town
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Whitfield St James
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0394 HIGH STREET WEST
921-1/10/16 (South side)
04/12/58 Nos.5-23 (Odd)
Town Hall and Market Hall, with
attached railings and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET WEST
Town Hall with Market Hall,
Municipal Buildings and Nos.5-23
Town hall, market hall and municipal buildings, 1838, 1845,
1897 and 1923. By Weightman and Hadfield for the 12th Duke of
Norfolk. Ashlar millstone grit with ashlar dressings. Panelled
stacks and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey. North front has 25 windows arranged
3:8:1:5:1:8:2. Central, taller town hall block has 7 windows
arranged 1:5:1. Ground floor has vermiculated rustication and
central 5 bay open arcade with round arches and Tuscan Doric
columns, flanked by single doorways with double doors and
moulded ashlar surrounds and bracketed hoods. Above 5 round
headed sashes with margin light glazing and bracketed cornice,
flanked by single similar windows with glazing bar casements.
Above square clock turret, 1897, topped with circular cupola.
Side wings, have 4 shops to each side mostly with C20 shop
fronts, Nos 7 and 17 retain original shop fronts with console
brackets and fascia boards, above 2 windows to each shop
divided by plain pilasters. End block to right 2 windows and 3
storeys with curved corner, with 2 shops divided by plain
pilasters that continue to upper floors.
Municipal offices, south front, has 11 windows arranged 3:5:3.
Recessed 5 window centre has central doorway with overlight
and single flanking sashes set back behind 2 Tuscan Doric
columns in antis with single flanking sashes between similar
pilasters. Above 5 sashes topped by parapet with Vitruvian
scroll motif stepped to ends. Projecting 3 window gabled wings
with overhanging eaves and rusticated vermiculated quoins.
Central 2 storey panels with rusticated vermiculated surrounds
and paired sashes to each floor, either side single sashes to
each floor. All windows have glazing bar sashes.
Left and right returns have 2 storey 6 and 4 window facades
and beyond 7 tall round headed windows to market hall, central
opening to left return has tall rusticated vermiculated door
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: included in this listing are the iron
railings and boundary piers to the Market Ground.
The original Town Hall design included lock-up prison with 4
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire:
Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 219; Hadfield Cawkwell Davidson
(Architects): 150 Years of Architects Drawings- Hadfield:
Listing NGR: SK0343494021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings