This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4464 / 53°26'47"N
Longitude: -1.9389 / 1°56'20"W
OS Eastings: 404154
OS Northings: 394410
OS Grid: SK041944
Mapcode National: GBR GXXL.08
Mapcode Global: WHB9T.5MZR
Plus Code: 9C5WC3W6+HC
Entry Name: Premises Occupied by Helme Footwear
Listing Date: 27 January 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384279
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484713
Location: Old Glossop, High Peak, Derbyshire, SK13
Electoral Ward/Division: Old Glossop
Built-Up Area: Glossop
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Glossop All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK0494 MANOR PARK ROAD
921-1/11/71 (East side)
27/01/78 Premises occupied by Helme Footwear
Former Tabernacle chapel, now commercial premises. Dated 1860,
with C20 extensions. Ashlar gritstone to front elevation,
(gable onto street), with chiselled and draughted margins.
Watershot masonry to side elevations, rear not accessible.
PLAN: simple rectangular space with galleries, now floored.
EXTERIOR: symmetrical, 3 bays. Gable wall with coping to eaves
and stone finial, with small semi-circular opening above
plaque dated 1860; cornice bands and rusticated quoining.
1st floor: 3 tall round-headed 16-pane windows in ashlar stone
surrounds with recessed aprons (above sill band). Ground
floor: low plinth with 2 round-headed doorways with blocked
fanlights flanking central round-headed blocked window; all
have panelled ashlar surrounds. Doors are fielded and
Side elevation: regular 4-window range with plain lintels to
1st and ground floors with the east window blocked on left
INTERIOR: ground floor retains most of its Art Nouveau stained
glass, cast-iron columns and flagged floor but only one of the
2 original staircases. This rises from the extreme right of
the main entrance and ascends in 2 flights to the upper floor
(now used as storage). Elaborate ceiling roses and stucco
Originally listed with earlier chapel to north, (now known as
Northern Glass Works, attached walls and railings), (q.v.)
Listing NGR: SK0415494410
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings