History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prudential Assurance Building

A Grade II Listed Building in Wigan Central, Wigan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5455 / 53°32'43"N

Longitude: -2.631 / 2°37'51"W

OS Eastings: 358285

OS Northings: 405619

OS Grid: SD582056

Mapcode National: GBR BW2F.6R

Mapcode Global: WH97Y.K4CR

Entry Name: Prudential Assurance Building

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484916

Location: Wigan, WN1

County: Wigan

Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central

Built-Up Area: Wigan

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Ince-in-Makerfield

Listing Text


WIGAN

SD5805NW LIBRARY STREET
24-1/7/29 (North East side)
11/07/83 No.16
Prudential Assurance Building

GV II

Insurance company office. Dated 1905 over 2nd floor; by
Heaton, Ralph and Heaton. Red brick with matching terracotta
dressings, roof concealed but probably slate. Rectangular plan
at right-angles to street. Flemish Transitional style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 4 windows; facing of square terracotta
tiles to ground floor which has moulded cornice with trefoil
arcading interrupted by corbels of 1st-floor oriel windows;
moulded cornices to both upper floors, that to 2nd floor with
egg-and-dart enrichment; coupled Dutch gables to centre bays
and balustraded parapets to outer bays. The ground floor has
the entrance to the left, by a semi-elliptical headed archway
with moulded surround including flowers, and an Art Nouveau
name plaque above ("PRUDENTIAL / ASSURANCE / BUILDINGS" on
shield with foliated surround), opening into a recessed porch
which has a mosaic tiled floor lettered "PRUDENTIAL ASSURANCE
COMPANY" and a canted doorway to the right with moulded
terracotta architrave (originally dark green glazed
terracotta, but now painted stone colour) including a bold
cornice with a cartouche lettered "P.A.Co.Ltd", and
egg-and-dart frieze, and a keyed oculus above; and to the
right, an arcade of 4 tall semi-elliptical arched windows with
terracotta cusping and linked hood-moulds with finials
extended up to hatched shields under the cornice. The 1st
floor has canted oriels with parapets lettered "A.1905.D"; and
the 2nd floor has shorter windows with unusual zig-zag
moulding to the heads. Tall corniced side-wall chimneys.
INTERIOR not inspected.


Listing NGR: SD5829005612

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.