This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5457 / 53°32'44"N
Longitude: -2.6316 / 2°37'53"W
OS Eastings: 358244
OS Northings: 405631
OS Grid: SD582056
Mapcode National: GBR BW2F.1Q
Mapcode Global: WH97Y.K42N
Plus Code: 9C5VG9W9+79
Entry Name: Former Midland Bank
Listing Date: 29 January 1998
Last Amended: 8 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484915
Location: Wigan, WN1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wigan Central
Built-Up Area: Wigan
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Wigan All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/12/2017
SD 5805 NW, 24-1/7/27
LIBRARY STREET (south-west side),
Nos. 1, 3, 5 AND 5A,
Former Midland Bank
(Formerly Listed as: LIBRARY STREET (South West side) Nos. 1, 3, 5 AND 5A (Midland Bank, including Nos 1 and 3))
Includes: Nos.1 and 3 Midland Bank WALLGATE.
Showrooms and offices, now bank and shop units. 1895. By WEV
Crompton of Wigan, for Timothy Coop and Company. Ground floor
altered 1910 by T B Whinney of London. Red brick in Flemish
bond, the ground floor rebuilt in sandstone ashlar; with pink
and buff terracotta dressings, slate mansard roof with
lead-clad dome. Corner site, with long frontage to Library
Street and narrow facade to Wallgate linked by convex corner.
Free Queen Anne style.
EXTERIOR: Three storeys and attic. The 1910 facade to the ground
floor, carried round both facades, has paired Tuscan
semi-columns, plain frieze and prominent modillioned cornice,
a corner doorway with moulded architrave including a festoon
frieze and cornice, and rectangular windows in the other bays.
On the upper floors the architectural centre consists of the three
bays wrapping round the corner, where a drum to the corner is
clasped by Dutch gables: it has brick pilasters at 1st floor
with terracotta Ionic capitals, a dentilled terracotta frieze
and moulded cornice carried round, banded Dutch gables, and a
drum with terracotta frieze enriched with festoons, surmounted
by an unusual bell-shaped dome; Venetian windows at 1st floor
with terracotta colonnettes, run-out voussoirs and triple
keystones, and oblong windows at 2nd floor with blocked jambs
and triple keystones; and stepped triple-light windows in the
gables. Side ranges similar but simpler.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Occupies key site at south end of triangular Market Place,
forming focal point at top of Library Street and Wallgate.
Listing NGR: SD5824405631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings