This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4213 / 51°25'16"N
Longitude: -2.5115 / 2°30'41"W
OS Eastings: 364531
OS Northings: 169262
OS Grid: ST645692
Mapcode National: GBR CVY.RC
Mapcode Global: VH88W.FJ4T
Plus Code: 9C3VCFCQ+GC
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapels at Keynsham Cemetery
Listing Date: 17 July 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485048
Location: Keynsham, Bath and North East Somerset, BS31
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Keynsham
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST66NW DURLEY HILL
739-1/1/38 (North East side)
Mortuary Chapels at Keynsham
Two attached Anglican mortuary chapels. 1877-8 by Charles
Edward Davis of Bath; repaired 1885 by local builder, Edward
Harvey. Squared and coursed rock-faced Pennant rubble with
Bath ashlar dressings, copings and gabled plain tile roofs.
STYLE: Middle Pointed.
PLAN: 2 chapels flanking tall carriage archway.
EXTERIOR: single-storey chapels and links. Symmetrical
composition with each chapel having a 2-light,
2-centred-arched window to north and south gable faces with
trefoil-cusped lights and rose tracery sections above; coped
parapet with kneelers, crosses at apex and ridge cresting; 2
single-light windows and external battered stacks to return
walls. Link buildings have plain 3-light windows with arched
heads. Tall carriage archway on both sides has pointed-arched
head with carved head stops, diagonal buttresses and small
3-light arched openings with louvres below gable; octagonal
spirelet with tiled base, wooden louvred mid section with
trefoil decoration and tiled upper spire with wrought-iron
INTERIOR: each chapel has plain canted rafter roof with
plaster infill and stained glass roundels of saints to rose
HISTORICAL NOTE: the cemetery was sited in the middle of a
very large Roman villa built in the late C3. The chapels were
constructed by Keynsham builder, H Sheppard and consecrated in
The building is a late example of the style, but is of
significant local historical importance, entirely unaltered
and designed by a major local architect.
The chapels were dilapidated and disused at time of survey.
(Keynsham Burial Board Records).
Listing NGR: ST6453169262
Other nearby listed buildings