This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4045 / 51°24'16"N
Longitude: -2.4569 / 2°27'24"W
OS Eastings: 368311
OS Northings: 167373
OS Grid: ST683673
Mapcode National: GBR JX.QNPV
Mapcode Global: VH88X.CYGP
Plus Code: 9C3VCG3V+Q6
Entry Name: Tunnel House
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Last Amended: 17 July 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485122
Location: Saltford, Bath and North East Somerset, BS31
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Saltford
Built-Up Area: Saltford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/12/2015
HIGH STREET (North side)
(Formerly listed as Brunel's Tunnel House Hotel, NORMAN ROAD, previously listed as: KEYNSHAM, NORMAN ROAD, Saltford (North side) Tunnel House)
Detached house. Late C18, altered in early C19. Limestone ashlar to main south facade, render to remaining with ashlar dressings, copings, end gable stacks and slate roof.
PLAN: double-depth plan with central entrance leading to staircase and 2 reception rooms either side.
EXTERIOR: 3 storey; 3-window range. South front with plat band above ground-floor windows, sills to upper floors, plain cornice and blind parapet ramped to stacks on return walls.Openings to ground-floor are late C20 French windows, those to upper floors are late C20 multi-paned casements. Central recessed doorway with early C19 8-panel door and decorative fanlight above obscured by modern canopy.
INTERIOR: stone flags to entrance hall, open well late C18 staircase with deal handrail and stick balusters. Several early C19 reeded cornices and similar surrounds to doorways.Back right-hand room on ground floor has 2 early C19 china cupboards with shelving. Bedrooms have early C19 chimneypieces with stopped roundel or reeded surrounds and contemporary grates.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house acquired the name Tunnel House when the GWR Bristol to London line was built directly under it. The property was bought in April 1836 by Isambard Kingdom Brunel and conveyed to the Great Western Railway company in December 1837; the line was opened in 1840.
(Elizabeth White: Keynsham and Saltford: Keynsham: 1990-: 9-10).
Listing NGR: ST6831167373
Other nearby listed buildings